Authors: Nathaniel Ramos

The Rams tennis team had mixed results this weekend against Creighton and Nebraska in Lincoln, Neb.

The weekend began for the Rams on Saturday when they faced off against Creighton, but the match did not start very promising. In the season's first match, Creighton's Katie Chiu defeated CSU senior Dasha Zhurin 7-5, 6-4.

Despite the loss, the Rams came back strong throughout the rest of the match. Sophomore Emily Kirchem got things started for CSU by defeating Kim Cavan 6-2, 6-0. The Rams hit a little bump in the road as Creighton tried to get on the board once more after Creighton's Deidre Senders forced a third set against Ram junior Carla Pallares. But Pallares pulled out the win by an overall score of 6-2, 0-6, 6-4

From that point on, the Rams were seemingly unstoppable and won every event against Creighton in both singles and doubles.

"We struggled quite a bit in our first match," said head coach Jon Messick. "However, everyone competed well and finished strong (against Creighton)."

On Sunday, CSU looked to topple Nebraska and its 55 non-conference match winning streak. Zhurin looked to give CSU the upper hand early on. But Nebraska's Gitte Ostermann would have none of that, winning 6-0, 6-1.

The Cornhuskers then proved to be too much to handle as they won in straight sets in nearly every event. Only freshman Anne Anderson was able to force a third set against Nebraska's Katie Garcia. But she eventually fell to Nebraska by a score of 6-4, 4-6, 10-6.

CSU's next match will be against is New Mexico State. The two teams will face off on Feb. 12 in Fort Collins.