Authors: Desiree Belmarez

When Jack Tafoya lay down to sleep on Sept. 11, 2001, he was hit with a feeling of d/j/ vu.

Through a complex mathematical equation, and a self-named study he calls Metanumersyllolgy, Tafoya believes he broke the code that gave way to the attacks before they even happened.

"There is a numerical code which explains everything," Tafoya said. "I use the highest level of logic to break it."

Just as the numerological, metaphysical philosophy provided Tafoya with insight to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and other tragic happenings such as the O.J. Simpson trial, he ascertains Metanumersyllolgy allows him to read people, and will be teaching a lecture titled "Breaking the Language Code" from 6 to 10 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 27 in room 213 at the Lory Student Center.

Rebecca Reyher, an open-option freshman, believes in the mystical, but is skeptical of Tafoya.

"It sounds a little far fetched to me," Reyher said. "I wouldn't mind checking things out for myself, though."

Tafoya believes his ability to crack codes came after an out-of-body experience he had in 1977 while at his father's funeral.

"During my experience, I heard a voice that said: 'it's all in the numbers,'" Tafoya said. "That's when the ability came."

Like he predicted Sept. 11, 2001, Tafoya believes that 2005 holds some political events. Through his mathematical equation, Tafoya determined that 2005 will be an action year because the digits 2 + 0 + 0 + 5 = 7.

"Traditioally, seven has been associated with movement while six has been associated with thinking," Tafoya said. "Think about it, the 1960s were filled with the idea that we all love each other and other hippy ideas of the sort while the '70s were filled with movement-think women rights."

Where exactly are we headed?

Tafoya believes that there will be a war between the United States, Syria, and Iran based on the United States leaders' desire for more money and power.

"It's all in the numbers. I don't care what current events say," Tafoya said. "I have predicted this for years."

Crystal Korrey, a political science major, thinks that the predictions are fascinating, but does not believe that Tafoya has any special ability.

"Perhaps his predictions were coincidental," Korrey said. "I don't believe anyone can predict the future."

Tafoya wants to teach students how they, too, can gain insight, and wants to disprove any notions of psychic abilities or fortune telling.

"My class is about teaching people to teach," Tafoya said. "Not follow."