Authors: Jennifer Johnson

It is the beginning of a new year, and for many that means a clean slate as New Year's resolutions help motivate students to achieve their goals.

Jackie Nguyen, a senior counselor at the University Counseling Center, feels that the beginning of each new year is a time for looking back to the past, and more importantly, a time for looking forward to the coming year.

"It's a good time to reflect on the changes we want, or need to make, and

to set goals for ourselves to follow during the new year," Nguyen said.

Nguyen believes there are many positive aspects involved in making New Year's resolutions.

"Resolutions can help you reflect on goals that have been accomplished in the past year, which will help give you a good sense of achievement, as well as identify areas that can be improved and give you something to strive for," she said.

Nguyen suggested a few ways in which students can stick to their resolutions throughout the year.

"By setting a specific goal, a student will more likely be able to follow through on it," she said. "It is also important to be realistic about your resolutions and not to overdo it. Start off slow and build up your goals as you go along. By setting reasonable goals, you won't burn yourself out right away and the ability to attain smaller goals will help reinforce future success."

Nguyen also suggests putting goals down in writing and letting friends and family what those goals are. This helps keep a person more accountable.

"By taking the time to plan your strategy, you'll be more likely to commit to achieving your goals," she said.

Jamie Hunter, a sophomore psychology major, made a New Year's resolution to work out at least three times a week.

"I like making New Year's resolutions," Hunter said. "They can be difficult to follow sometimes, but if you put your mind to it you can definitely achieve your goals."

Hunter suggests involving your friends when setting goals for the new year to help motivate each other.

Racheal Aragon, a sophomore English major, has a different perspective on making New Year's resolutions: She feels they are impractical and difficult to follow.

"I usually don't make any resolutions at the beginning of the new year," she said. "Basically, I just have a hard time following through with them and as time goes on it becomes more difficult to stick to them."

Although Aragon does not believe in making resolutions, she knows that for many New Year's Day feels like a new beginning.