To the Editor:

Upon leaving my apartment the other night, I attempted to find something by way of entertainment in Fort Collins. My boyfriend, 20, and I, 19, decided that we wanted to play a game of pool, and embarked upon what soon revealed itself to be a fruitless journey. Nowhere in Fort Collins, it would appear, can you play pool if you are under the age of 21.

I fail to see how only allowing those of a legal age to become intoxicated while playing this sport is going to make it any safer. I also fail to see how the money I might spend reserving a table is worth any less than that of someone twice my age. Why is it that there is so little to do in Fort Collins if you are not 21 or older?

Unless I am grossly mistaken, roughly half of the 25,000-some-odd students who attend CSU are 20 or younger. This is not to discount the numerous high school students. In a town that is facing a "drinking crisis," one might think that alternative (and perhaps worthier) pursuits of our time might be encouraged rather than the clandestine parties that seem to be the only readily available source of entertainment around our so-called "college town."

Fort Collins, I implore you, if you don't want underage kids drinking, give them something to do with their evenings other than get turned away from six establishments in succession merely because they cannot support the liquor industry.

Kate Klock

Sophomore Restaurant and Resort Management Major

(970) 231-1464

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

As we enter the new year of 2005, we at the Habitat Home Supply Store would like to thank the people and businesses of Fort Collins and surrounding communities for their generous support of Fort Collins Habitat for Humanity.

For those who are unfamiliar with our enterprise, the Habitat Home Supply Store is a funding source for Fort Collins Habitat for Humanity. We take in donations of good-quality used and new furniture, appliances, building materials, doors, windows, plumbing and electrical items, and also used cars. We then sell these items to raise money to further the mission of Habitat for Humanity here in Fort Collins and around the world.

Habitat works in partnership with low-income families to help give them a "hand up, not a hand out."

Habitat for Humanity provides zero-interest mortgages to these families and builds these homes with primarily volunteer help. The families that are selected also put in 300 to 500 hours of "sweat equity" helping to build their home and helping out at the Home Supply Store.

The people who donate to and shop at the Habitat Home Supply Store are an integral part of the mission of Fort Collins Habitat for Humanity. Without this support the scope of what we are able to accomplish would be severely limited.

You are making a positive difference in the lives of many.

Joe Kissell

General Manager, Habitat Home Supply Store

Fort Collins Habitat for Humanity, 4001 S. Taft Hill Rd