Authors: Justin Shaw

The CSU swimming and diving team lost its second straight Mountain West Conference duel to Brigham Young on Saturday by a score of 169-131 in Fort Collins.

The loss dropped the Rams' record to 5-3 overall and 3-3 in MWC competition.

The Rams earned victories in five events, including both relays, but it wasn't enough to hold off the Cougars.

CSU's 200-yard medley relay team, consisting of freshman Amy Abrams, juniors Elizabeth Jones and Rachelle Kula and senior Lyndsey McCaslin, won the race with a time of 1:47.56. The Rams also won the 200-yard freestyle relay with a team of Jones, freshmen Karin Knudson and Brette Winegarner and sophomore Tara Staley in a time of 1:37.34.

Some of the women had impressive individual showings in the defeat. McCaslin placed first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:06.01 and Kula won in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 58.93. Sophomore Chandra Engs took first in the 200-yard individual medley, finishing in 2:11.87. Engs also earned second in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:56.90 and Jones complimented her two relay victories by finishing second in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 53.99.

The loss to BYU was the second setback suffered by the Rams in three days, as the Rams lost to the Utah Utes on Thursday. Utah beat CSU by a score of 157-85 at Moby Pool.

The Rams only earned a victory in one event, taking first place in the 200-yard medley relay with Abrams, McCaslin, Kula and Knudson. The Rams took second place in seven events, but it didn't help the team's chances in the dual.

The Rams will finish their MWC regular season when Wyoming travels to Fort Collins on at 5 p.m. on Feb. 4 at Moby Pool.