Authors: Jon Pilsner

Alcohol was not likely the sole cause of a CSU student's death this Saturday at a house across the street from the CSU campus.

CSU student Bennett Bertoli, 20, found dead on a couch at 1201 S. Shields St. Saturday morning, had a blood-alcohol content of .124, according to the Larimer County coroner's office. This is not generally regarded as high enough to kill a person.

Further toxicology reports are still pending from the coroner's office, but they may not be available for weeks. Police are investigating if other factors, such as drugs, played a role in Bertoli's death.

Bertoli worked at the Sunflower Market, located at the corner of Drake and Lemay streets. His father is a part owner of the grocery chain. Employees declined to comment, other than to say Bertoli was a good worker.

A mass was held Wednesday at the All Souls Catholic Church in Denver. The family could not be reached for comment and asked media outlets not to attend the service. Residents of the house where Bertoli was found also declined to comment.

The Associated Students of CSU, in tandem with the office of CSU President Larry Penley, handed out "Ace of Spade" cards this week, also placing them in residence hall mailboxes.

The idea for the cards was created by members of the former fraternity Sigma Pi, in memory of Samantha Spady, a CSU sophomore who was found dead on Sept. 5 at the fraternity house of acute alcohol poisoning.

About 100 volunteers helped hand out the cards, spreading them around the CSU campus and in neighborhoods near campus.

On the wallet-sized cards, sponsored by the Sam Spady Foundation, are common signs to distinguish a person who is at risk of an alcohol-related death. The foundation was organized to work to prevent similar deaths from happening around the country.

Penley said the CSU administration fully supported the program to distribute the cards.

"But this is truly a project of student initiative," Penley said.