Authors: Jon Pilsner

Taking dominating wins from both Northern Colorado and Air Force, the CSU swimming and diving team improved to 5-1 in dual meets last week, ending its competition for the semester on a high note.

On Wednesday, using first-place finishes in eight of 13 individual events, the Rams beat UNC in Greeley with a total team score of 189-111. CSU sophomore Andrea Newman and freshmen Celes Parks and Katie Zappa finished first, second and third, respectively, in the 100-yard freestyle.

In diving, freshman Elyse Hall, after being named Mountain West Conference diver of the week, won the 1-meter competition with a score of 238.65. Freshman Karin Knudson finished fourth and freshman Amber Utesch finished fifth. Utesch went on to win the 3-meter diving competition with a total score of 253.35. Hall finished second, 10 points behind.

On Saturday, the Rams ended their first-semester competition with a 148-84 win at Air Force. CSU freshman Alina Roberts took first in both the 50- and 100-yard freestyle events and was a member of the 200-yard winning freestyle relay team. Hall again took first in 1-meter diving.

The Rams' victory over the Falcons pushes their conference record to 2-1 in MWC play.

CSU is off for break during the holidays. The team will return to action on Jan.7 when it travels to Florida to compete in the Miami Invite.