Authors: Pete Scalia

A weekend of ups and downs befell the Colorado Eagles. On Friday, the Eagles picked up a heart pounding victory over the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs 6-4, after losing to the Mudbugs on Wednesday night 4-2. On Saturday the Eagles dropped an overtime game against the Lubbock Cotton Kings 3-2.

Friday's game was a back and forth struggle for the Eagles and the Mudbugs. In the second period the Mudbugs scored their third goal and temporarily took the lead from the Eagles. After the goal the Eagles had two players, Riley Nelson and Ryan Tobler sent to the penalty box.

This led to Eagles coach, Chris Stewart getting ejected after arguing with head referee Kevin Mallin and throwing equipment off of the bench and onto the ice.

It appeared to Phil Crowe, the Eagle's Director of Player Personnel that Mallin had a vendetta against the Eagles for the action the Eagles made in Friday's game.

"These three (Mallin, and linesmen John Eddy and Tim Swiader) should never officiate again," Crowe said. "It was like watching the Kevin Mallin show out there."

Saturday's game saw the Eagles and their top-ranked penalty-killing unit on the ice 10 times while going on the power play just once.

"I don't even have words to describe it," said Eagles goalie Gian Baldrica while discussing the officiating of Saturday's game.

When the overtime period started, Eagles' captain Greg Pankewicz was in the penalty box for a sixth time, leaving the Eagles at a 4-on-3 penalty kill that finally broke. Cotton Kings right winger Anders Strome ended the game with a shot 46 seconds into the extra frame.

The crowd at the Budweiser Events Center made their opinions known about the officiating in the game.

The Eagles will now be on the road as they travel to New Mexico to take on the second place Scorpions on Dec. 10.