Authors: Amy Resseguie

For a few hours Saturday night, the Lory Student Center West Ballroom became the center of activity for a junior high Snowball Dance.

More than 150 Lincoln Junior High School students danced the night away as a reward for bringing in more canned goods than Associated Students of CSU for Cans Around the Oval on Oct. 14.

The junior high brought in 7,225 pounds of food this year, not only outpacing ASCSU but also contributing nearly 10 times as much as their 2003 donation.

"It's really great that ASCSU is doing this for Lincoln," said Lincoln Principal Lou Marchesano. "These kids were just bringing in boxes of (cans)."

The challenge arose as a result of CSU instructor Linda Williams' ED350 class, a teaching practicum for education majors.

The class partnered with the junior high and worked with the students through mentoring classes, Williams said. One of the themes this semester was hunger.

"(CSU students) taught the classes the concept of hunger and what it means in Fort Collins, the U.S. and the world … and gave them information about what they could do to help," Williams said.

Lincoln and ASCSU had participated in challenges in previous years, so Lincoln decided to challenge them again, requesting a dance to be held on the CSU campus if they won, with ASCSU members as chaperones. ASCSU accepted — but if they won Lincoln students would have to throw a pizza party for the entire senate.

"They beat us by quite a bit," said Amy Sell, a junior history major and speaker chair of ASAP.

ASCSU came through and provided decorations, lights, refreshments and a disc jockey who taught students how to disco and sock-hop, while others stuck with break-dancing and sliding on the wood floor.

"This is so much better than the Lincoln dances," said Kate Priddle-Vogl, a ninth-grader at Lincoln. "A lot more people came and the rules are a lot less strict."

Priddle-Vogl, a member of Lincoln's student council, said they encouraged all students to bring in cans from home, as well as to ask their friends and neighbors for support during the Cans Around the Oval campaign.

Sell said the dance was also a way to encourage students to go to college, and many of the students in attendance said they were excited to do so.

Becky Gray, an eighth-grade student, said she is interested in attending CSU.

"They have an awesome vet school," she said.

Students also voted on a Snowball King, Queen, Prince and Princess, complete with silver tinsel crowns.

Snowball King Tyler Huff, a ninth-grader at Lincoln, said the dance was a lot of fun. Huff also convinced his classmates to vote for Carmen Electra as Snowball Queen. She won.

"Of course, she didn't show up, but I was hoping," Huff said.