Water Rams head to UNC

Authors: Nate Ramos

The CSU swimming and diving team will journey down the road to Northern Colorado to take on the Bears at 4 p.m. today

The Rams, who are coming off a split road trip that resulted in a loss to UNLV and a win against San Diego State, have been preparing for the meet.

"We have been training pretty strong, although we're trying not to train so hard that we don't have enough energy to perform (well) both in the pool and the classroom," said head coach John Mattos.

The Rams (3-1) may not need a lot of energy to beat UNC (8-6), which is coming off a tough loss to SDSU. In that meet, the Bears fell to the Aztecs 172-128, whereas CSU beat SDSU 184-113.

The Rams do have one thing going against them: health.

"We were hit pretty hard by illness right after we got back from San Diego," Mattos said. "With the flu season the way it is this year, I think we need to be careful as to how we take care of our health. Otherwise there will be a couple of kids under the weather when they should be training hard."

Because of the number of ill swimmers, only a few athletes qualifying for multiple events, and the tournament's timing, CSU will not be sending any athletes to the U.S. Open tournament in Indianapolis, Ind., that is taking place today though Saturday.

Freshman diver Elise Hall, who was named the Mountain West Conference Diver of the Week following the SDSU and UNLV meets, will be leading the diving Rams against UNC. Hall took first in the 1-meter dive, scoring a career-high 266.55 points, and also finished first in the 3-meter dive against the Aztecs. She finished second in both events against the Rebels, scoring 251.78 in the 3-meter dive.

Senior Veronica Lucas will lead the UNC diving squad after setting a school record score of 251.78 in the 1-meter diving event against SDSU.

Last season, the Rams beat the Bears 219-81 at the Moby Arena pool.