To the Editor:

CSU has a statement of student rights and responsibilities. It begins with: "Colorado State University expects students to maintain standards of personal integrity that are in harmony with the educational goals of the institution; to observe national, state and local laws, and university regulations; and to respect the rights, privileges and property of other people." I believe the majority of CSU students respect their responsibilities. These men and women deserve to be proud of their character and accomplishments. But unfortunately, thousands of CSU students are not as honorable. These immature "adults" embrace a culture that glorifies underage drinking, alcohol abuse and associated, uncivil and violent behaviors. Off campus, they show little regard for hard-working citizens who are just trying to raise their families in peace, or elderly residents surviving on fixed incomes in homes they bought decades ago. This culture is tearing apart long-established family neighborhoods, and it is building support among the city's voters for more legislation and better enforcement. If this culture and its consequences are unacceptable, then it is time to raise our expectations. Underage drinking is not OK. Disorderly conduct and public drunkenness are not OK. Violence and vandalism are not OK. Violations of the city's noise ordinances and municipal laws are not OK. If you agree, please support CSU administration and Fort Collins City Council to formulate solutions and make difficult decisions. But more important, please choose to make yourself part of the solution.

Ray Czaplewski

Fort Collins community member

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

The story entitled "Student saves the day" published in the Collegian on Wednesday brought tears to my eyes. I am very glad to finally read something in the Collegian that actually shows how great students on the CSU campus really are. The news is usually so negative against CSU and I am happy that this story could show the community how CSU really is.

I would like to praise Sean Abbey for his courageous efforts, and hopefully students learn from his actions. Thank goodness there are wonderful people like that man here at CSU and it makes me proud to be able to say that I attend this university with him.

Tara Spencer

Sophomore, psychology

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In response to Meggie Cowan's letter in the Collegian on Tuesday, I would like to mention one critical fact she failed to acknowledge. According to Cowan, the emergency contraceptive pill can be taken up to 120 hours after intercourse. The Web site for emergency contraception clearly states that for the highest amount of effectiveness, the first of the two pills needs to be administered within 72 hours, and preferably within 24 hours after unprotected sex. The longer a woman waits before taking the pills, the more likely it is that the hormones will not help in preventing pregnancy. If a woman has to wait until Monday after having sex on a Friday, more than 48 hours will have passed, and the chances of the pills actually working diminishes. I do agree that the emergency contraception pill shouldn't be a woman's main source of birth control. However, I believe many accidental pregnancies could be prevented if the emergency contraceptive pill were available over-the-counter.

If you were in the situation of needing the emergency contraception, would you rather be able to buy it at a pharmacy immediately or have to wait at least two days before being able to receive a prescription?

Marin Lix

Senior, Construction Management