Authors: Paul Baker, Scott Bondy

A crowd of about 4,500 watched Ian Young and Toney Douglas of Auburn hit two free throws each and, with 23 seconds left, lead the Tigers to a 79-76 overtime victory over the Rams.

With 47 seconds left in the game, senior Matt Williams, who had 12 points and seven rebounds, converted a layup to put the Rams up 66-63. Then with only 27 seconds left Young (Auburn) tied the game with a 3-point basket to send the game into overtime.

In overtime, the Rams (3-2) seemed to play catch up the whole time. Williams and freshman Jason Smith, who had 14 points in the game, started the extra period off with two consecutive baskets on as many trips down the court. Then Auburn (5-0) matched CSU on each of their trips down the court, eventually pulling ahead 72-20 with just over two minutes remaining. Williams tied the score 72-72 with two free throws. After the converted free throws, the Rams went on a 0-4 streak from the field over the last 1:20, while the Tigers made free throws down the stretch. Senior Jon Rakiecki, who had 13 points, scored with five seconds to go in the game, but it was not enough.

Four Rams scored in double figures including Stuart Creason who had a team high 17 points and a game high 10 rebounds.

CSU had 21 turnovers in the game as opposed to Auburn's seven. Auburn was led by guard Douglas who had a game high 23 points and Young who was right behind him with 22.

Rams center Matt Nelson was sorely missed tonight, as he was inactive due to a stomach virus.

The Rams' next match up will be at home against Drake on Saturday at Moby Arena. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.