Authors: Paul Baker

With arguably the toughest matchup of the season happening tonight, the CSU men's basketball team heads to Alabama to play Auburn.

The two teams meet for the second time in two years, the last meeting coming last year at Auburn with the Tigers winning 84-54. The Tigers were led by senior Kyle Davis, who had a career-high 21 points in 24 minutes to go along with nine rebounds. Marco Killingworth added 19 points and seven rebounds in the game. The Rams were led by center Matt Nelson, who had a team-high 12 points and four rebounds.

The Tigers return two starters from a year ago: seniors Ian Young, who averaged 10 points per game, and Nathan Watson, who averaged 7.5 points per game. Auburn lost four starters from last year. Two keys players lost were Killingworth, who averaged 13.7 points per game and 6.9 rebounds per game and received second team All- Southeastern Conference, and Davis, who averaged 6.5 points per game.

The Tigers finished last year at 14-14 overall and 5-11 in the Western Division of the Southeastern Conference.

Auburn is coached by first-year man Jeff Lebo, who has led the Tigers to a 4-0 start. Lebo has had good success as a coach, notching a record of 116-63 in seven years of coaching previously at Tennessee Tech and Tennessee-Chattanooga.

"The trip down to Auburn will be really tough," said sophomore guard Dwight Boatner. "We need to come out with a lot of energy tonight."

CSU looks to end a nine-game losing streak on the road, dating back to Dec. 22, 2003, when the Rams defeated Stetson 66-65 on a last-second free throw by forward Matt Williams.

CSU, which seems to be a second-half team this year, having outscored its opponents 179-120 this year, will try to work on playing consistently throughout the game.

"We definitely play a lot better in the second half," said junior guard Micheal Morris. "I don't know what's wrong with us in the first half, but it needs to change."