Weimen grabs honor

Authors: Pete Scalia

The Colorado Eagles will be in Kansas this weekend to face off against two divisional foes. First up will be Wichita Thunder, which recently lost its first game of the season.

"We've never played them before (this season), so we have a good chance," said David Svagrovsky, a Colorado forward.

The Thunder had been the last undefeated team in the CHL with a record of 8-0-0 before dropping a game at home against the Topeka Tarantulas 4-2 on Sunday night.

The Tarantulas caught the Thunder at the right time as the team was enjoying a winning streak of its own. The Tarantulas used their momentum to pick up their fifth victory of the year.

The Eagles (5-2-1) will face off against the Tarantulas on Saturday to finish up their mini road trip. The Eagles have bounced back tremendously after dropping three in a row. The Eagles feasted on the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees last weekend, winning 7-1 on Friday and 6-0 on Saturday.

Rookie goalie Tyler Weimen was named the CHL Goaltender of the Week after allowing one goal on 58 shots against Rio Grande.

The Eagles had previously lost back-to-back games in overtime to the second-place New Mexico Scorpions after losing to the Corpus Christi Rays to close out October. The Eagles are 2-0 on the road this year.

The Eagles will return to the Budweiser Events Center on Wednesday to host the Odessa Jackalopes at 7:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast on Altitude. The Eagles will conclude their home stand Saturday and Sunday with games against Wichita. Both games start at 7:05 p.m.