Trash Can Fires

Authors: Brian Park

Five trashcans have been set on fire on the CSU campus during the last month.

No suspects are currently known but the CSU Police Department is leading an investigation into the evidence they have found, according to a public safety information release by CSUPD.

All of the fires have been set in the single plastic trashcans that are located in the men's restrooms. The fires caused no injuries or severe damage to buildings.

"The fires have caused minimal damage, usually just the trashcans or its contents are damaged," said CSUPD Capt. Bob Chaffee. "But that's the scary (part) because we don't know what the overall goal is of the person setting these fires."

The first four fires occurred on Thursday, Oct. 21, all taking place within the span of an hour and a half. The first was set around 4:30 p.m. in the men's restroom on the second floor of the A-Wing in the Clark building. Thirty minutes later a second fire was set in the men's restroom on the third floor of the C-wing in Clark.

Later the same day around 5:45 p.m. two more fires occurred. The first happened in the men's restroom on the first floor of the C-wing in the Clark Building and then 10 minutes later a second fire occurred in the men's restroom located near the lobby on the first floor of the B-wing of the Chemistry building.

According to the CSUPD information release all four fires were identical in nature.

The last of the five fires that have been set occurred on Friday, Nov. 12 around 5 p.m. in the men's restroom on the second floor in the Clark Building C-wing.

All of the fires were in the single plastic trashcans in each restroom.

If anyone has any information about these, or any other fires please call the CSUPD at 491-6425 or the Arson Hotline at 303-892-7766.