Authors: Desiree Belmarez

Slouching in his chair with his arms crossed, Jeremy Gatz-Miller did not know what to expect. The simplistic stage with intricately placed fabric and tiled dance floor had Gatz-Miller, a freshman history major, questioning the type of fashion show he was going to see.

"I have never been to one of these things before," Gatz-Miller said. "It looks like it is going to be very interesting to say the least."

The second annual Student Affiliates of the International Textile and Apparel Association fall fashion show, dubbed "Autumn in New York," showcased the work of students studying design and merchandising. The Associated Students of Interior Design stage arranged the stage and entertainment was provided by DJ Downunder and the Hip-Hop Culture Club.

"It is a fun way to bring friends and local talent all together to marvel at the creativity," said Erika Martinez, public relations officer for SITAA.

With that, the lights dimmed and the audience was whisked away to Brooklyn where they stop at the first of two places. Audience members observe street dancing by the Hip-Hop Culture Club, and after a brief performance, continue on their journey to their intended destination, the famous 5th Avenue. There the audience is part of an elite group of spectators watching top designers unveil their work.

Wearing her self-designed pant suit titled Harvest Moonbeam, sophomore

apparel and design major, Kaitlyn Thomas struts on stage, head cocked high. She gracefully makes her way to the end of the stage, makes a crisp turn, and fox-trots back.

Thomas introduced the audience to her work by providing them with six sample pieces from her line.

Like every top designer, Thomas has a story. It began with a needle and thread when she was 4 years old. Her mother taught her quilting and instantaneously Thomas became enamored with the trade.

"I have always loved sewing and my interest in fashion just made designing clothes a logical career," Thomas said.

The fashion show lasted approximately one hour and showcased the work of 10 other students. The audience, including Gatz-Miller was impressed.

"The models, dancers, and clothes were really cool," he said. "I would definitely come back."