Time to be thankful

Authors: Vincent Adams

My second favorite holiday is about a week away and, in true Turkey Day spirit, I offer you things to be thankful for in 2004.

Colin Powell's resignation

This honorable man is too good for President Bush's administration. Powell is a formal general who, through experience, understands the ugly realities of war. He knew the United States needed to build strong international support in order to succeed in Iraq and he understood the need to exhaust all diplomatic efforts before going to war. Powell urged sanity while the rest of the Bush administration pushed for its under-planned, ill-conceived war. Powell's sanity, if featured in Bush's policies, would have helped avoid some of the problems we now face.

While Powell will probably not bring me any warm fuzzies by airing dirty laundry about the wicked Bush administration, I am pleased he is no longer part of the Bush clan. Run for president in 2008, Mr. Powell. You are very few people deserving of that office – and that includes your former boss.

John Ashcroft's resignation

This former attorney general and super conservative was in charge of this country's law enforcement. He was too right wing for his position and the country is better off without him. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I was scared of Ashcroft. Our former chief law enforcement official, who had more power in his pocket thanks to the Patriot Act, considers dancing a sin. What if he decided dancing equated terrorism?

This red state's feeling blue

Colorado's electoral votes may have gone to President Bush, but Democrats now run the state's senate and house. Not that Democrats are going to fix all the problems facing our state, but we needed a fresh and progressive group to work on Colorado's growth and economic problems.

And Ken Salazar was elected to the U.S. Senate.

Only four years

If you can hang in there, it will be over before you know it. I'd suggest you hide from Bush's current and future economy by hiding in college. Pick up as many degrees as needed to avoid these next four years. Sure, you might have a huge loan burden when all is said and done, but you'll be super smart and hopefully the next administration (President Powell? McCain? Clinton? Kerry?) can quickly fix Bush's economy.

We aren't alone

About 49 percent of us opted for American regime change, and most of the world felt Bush was the wrong man to run the world's police force, so we liberals aren't alone. If the election results still have you blue, whine with your fellow progressives on www.sorryeverybody.com. It's soothing to know you aren't alone and the Web site might perk you up in time for Turkey Day.

Wonderful readers

Some of you thanked me for expressing your thoughts and feelings in my "Divide and conquer" column.

I am honored if I speak for some of you and I am honored that any of you would care to read my ramblings.

Have a great break and enjoy Turkey Day.

Vince Adams is a graduate student studying English. His column runs every Wednesday in the Collegian.