Authors: James Baetke

A collision between two racing vehicles resulted in a five-car crash sending four people to the hospital and closing down a section of South College Avenue Monday night.

Police said speed was a factor in the incident and charges are pending as the investigation continues.

At 6:51 p.m. Fort Collins Police Services responded to an injury accident at the intersection of College and Boardwalk avenues.

A press release from police stated two of the vehicles involved in the crash, and Audi and a Mustang, were racing one another.

Roberto Huerto, 30, from Wellington was driving the 2001 Audi and Anthony Duran, 19, from Casper, Wyo. was driving the 2001 Ford Mustang.

Paula Duran, Duran's mother in Casper, Wyo., said her son was not racing and was just a witness to the crash. Duran called his mother after the accident and told her he just witnessed a "horrible" accident after he was urged to race Huerto twice along South College Avenue, but refused, she said.

"He witnessed the accident. My son said the guy in the Audi was traveling around 80-90 mph," Paula Duran said.

Paula Duran also said her son was not ticketed and his Mustang was not damaged from the incident.

Police said once the two alleged speeding vehicles approached College and Boardwalk, Huerto struck a 2000 Mazda truck, which was making a left turn onto eastbound Boardwalk from southbound College. A fourth vehicle was tangled between the Mazda and the Audi.

A fifth vehicle and a sixth were also damaged, police said.

Huerto and three other people involved in the accident were taken to Poudre Valley Hospital. Huerto, Lucille Stevens, 77, and Satone Mallory, 84, were all listed in stable condition Tuesday, while Richard Rumney, 56, was listed as fair.

Police questioned a crowd of witnesses gathered on the street corner about the incident.

"They are just lucky no one died," Paula Duran said.

Anyone with information about the accident is asked to contact Officer Drew Jurkofsky, of FCPS, at 221-6555.