To the editor:

How do you think we, as students, should react to the elections? Should we assume President George W. Bush has full control or should we act as democratic citizens?

In reaction to Sept. 11, 2001, Bush has called for more domestic energy consumption, particularly drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). The position is that America needs to decrease its dependence on foreign oil. This can be a patriotic position, but the reality is that there is a limited amount of fossil fuels in this Earth. Increasing fuel efficiency and using alternative sources of fuel is the direction we must be taking. This strategy is cheaper, faster, cleaner for the environment and increases competition and innovation, thus improving the economy. Bush's plan makes our energy system more vulnerable to terrorism by severing foreign relations and creating oil fields and pipelines as targets.

Drilling in ANWR is not needed. I ask you to use your democratic right. Spread the word to friends and call your Congressman. With continuous and pronounced pressure, change occurs. It is easier than you think. Bush may be president, but we have control.

Miles Hein

Senior, health and exercise science

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

It is obvious that a large percentage of the population is facing an extent of disillusionment with our federal government following our nation's recent election results. I have read letter after letter to the Collegian (written by student Democrats) complaining about some issues that I don't believe everybody has the correct information on.

First, everyone keeps talking about Bush reinstating the draft, and despite the continuous denial of this by both the president and the Republican Party, you all keep producing these misinformed rantings. The Democratic Rep. Charles Rangel, in fact, proposed the Congressional bill in January 2003 that would have promoted this. The accusations against Bush were all brought up on the road to the election by the Democrats and have been fiercely repeated since. The only mention of the proposed amendment by the Republicans was to deny it, and they have exemplified unwavering stances on this issue since so I don't understand all of the confusion about the issue. Another recurring complaint from the Democrats is about Bush's banning of gay marriage. While Bush did support the amendment to the Constitution, he also rigidly stated that those who live this particular lifestyle would still receive the same benefits offered to heterosexual couples. Kerry never backed a federal constitutional amendment but did believe that a state amendment banning gay marriage should be passed in Massachusetts.

This is a perfect example of Kerry's unwillingness to take a concrete stance on anything. As I see it, the only reason he would have supported it in his home state and opposed it in the federal Constitution was to keep the doors open for more votes in the national election.

Greg Kushner

Senior, History/ Construction Management

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Is anyone listening? All I hear is screaming, complaining and whining from people on both sides of our political spectrum. Is there any such thing as intelligent discourse? Respectful debate? We represent many age groups here at CSU, but none of us are children. Still it seems name-calling and pouting are the norm. I really believe that we need to rise to a higher standard. We are an intelligent academic community that is capable of so much more than we are currently striving for. Aren't we here because we want to improve our lives and to raise the standard for our children? Not one of us, regardless of political persuasion, will ever bring others to see our point of view by screaming in their faces about how incredibly wrong they are and how indisputably right we are. I have had many of my beliefs challenged by discussion with people who disagreed with me and a few of those times I not only had to evaluate my stance on an issue but I also had to do the unthinkable: admit I was wrong. Where is the respect and consideration for differing opinions? Don't be afraid to listen to what someone else believes because it will take you out of your comfort zone. Let's take the challenge, have some respect and start seeing each other as the intelligent, capable adults that we are.

Natalie M. Wasmundt

Graduate student in neuroscience