Authors: Joelle Milholm

Basketball legend Becky Hammon and Olympic discus thrower Casey Malone topped the list of 2004 inductees into the CSU Sports Hall of Fame at a ceremony on Friday night at the University Park Holiday Inn, 425 W. Prospect Rd., in Fort Collins.

Thrower Shelly Borman, basketball great Stan Albert, football defensive end Sean Moran and wrestler Dan Sniff also joined the illustrious list of 90 former CSU student-athletes who are in the Hall of Fame.

Hammon, who plays for the WNBA's New York Liberty and the American Basketball League's Colorado Chill, was a two-time All-American when she played for the Rams from 1995 to 1999. Averaging 21.9 points per game, Hammon is the all-time leading points per game scorer in the Western Athletic Conference, men's or women's.

Hammon, a 5-foot-6-inch guard, owns nearly all the women's basketball records at CSU, including total points (2,740), points per game (21.9), assists (538), steals (315), 3-point field goals made (365), field goals made (918) and free throws made (539).

"I had an outstanding time at CSU and it has carried me on through my professional career," Hammon said. "It is such a humbling experience to be here with such great athletes and great people."

Hammon guided the Rams to two NCAA Tournament appearances and help raise the attendance at Moby Arena from a few hundred per game in the early 1990s to around 2,000 per game during her tenure.

"We (Hammon and teammate Katie Cronin) had a plan to take this program to another level," Hammon said. "It was our goal to pack Moby."

Malone, who competed at CSU from 1995 to 2000, was CSU's first NCAA track champion in 1998 with a 200-foot, 2-inch throw. He won two WAC Championships and was a four-time All-American as a Ram. He was the highest-placing American in the discus at the 2004 Olympics, finishing sixth.

"The former athletes here established a tradition of excellence and a training atmosphere that helped me so much," said Malone, who was dressed in his USA Olympic sports jacket. "This award means more than I can say. It is a tremendous honor."

Borman (formerly Shelly Greathouse) threw discus, shot put and hammer for the Rams from 1994-99 and was CSU's first five-time All-American. Borman is the WAC record-holder in the discus throw (198 feet and 8 inches) and was named to the All-Conference team seven times, four times in discus, two in shot put and once in the hammer.

"When I got here, I realized I had made one of the best decisions of my life and I got to be coached by the best throwers coach in the country (CSU throwing coach Brian Bedard)," Borman said. "I would not have been a five-time All-American if I did not go to this university."

Moran, who played with the NFL's San Francisco 49ers, Buffalo Bills and is currently with the St. Louis Rams, played for CSU from 1991 to 1995. Outside of two All-WAC team selections and recording 16 sacks in his career as a Ram, Moran is most famous for what CSU head coach Sonny Lubick calls the "biggest play in CSU history."

Moran, a member of the 1994 Rams squad that won 10 games and knocked off the ranked Arizona Wildcats, recovered a fumble and ran it back for a touchdown to beat Arizona 21-16 in one of CSU's most memorable sports plays.

Albert played basketball for CSU from 1954 to 1958 and was on the Deseret News All-Conference First Team his junior year. He still holds the record for most career free throws made with (Where is the stat!!!!)

Sniff, who wrestled for the Rams from 1950 to 1955, was the NCAA runner-up his junior year and went undefeated in his senior year until a broken ankle forced him to sit out of the Skyline Conference Championships.

The Former Athletes Association hosted the event and donated $1,000 to CSU's Athletic Department Academic Services.