Authors: Ben Bleckley

I do not get it.

I have tried really hard to understand. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Why are we not giving equal rights to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and the transgender? Aren't "equal rights" America's specialty?

Oops. There I go overlooking slavery, civil rights, Japanese internment camps, the Ku Klux Klan, lack of women's suffrage and hundreds of other related and unrelated incidents in American history that desecrate our Bill of Rights.

The issue of GLBT rights is not just a political issue. A great deal of it stems from the Judeo-Christian theological debate.

There are two Biblical verses people quotes when they want to show that homosexual acts are sins.

The weaker is in Leviticus 18:22, which states: "Do not lie with a man as with a woman. That is detestable."

This reason is weaker because the verse lies in a list of laws that also forbid the wearing of clothing containing more than one type of fabric (better throw out those polyester/cotton blends), that no women can enter church while menstruating and that you should not eat pork. Any one who does any of those things should not be condemning the GLBT community.

The second is 1 Corinthians 6:9-10: "Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

This is one of Paul's letters to Christians in different parts of the world.

This just happens to be the same Paul who said "As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church" (1 Cor 14:34-35) and "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything" (Eph 5:22-24).

While Paul was blinded when he first saw Jesus, I do not think he consulted the Son of God on every manner. Equality with women was a cornerstone of Jesus' teaching. Obviously, it was not as important to Paul.

Many say that God made sexual organs for heterosexual acts, period. Just like lips are used only for talking. That must be why kissing is a sin in our society.

The theological argument does not hold up to scrutiny.

Ben Bleckley is a junior English major. His column runs every Monday in the Collegian.