Authors: Jon Pilsner

The official weather report was cold and gloomy.

And after the opening kickoff, the same could be said about UNLV.

Scoring 24 points in the first quarter, the CSU Rams steamrolled UNLV 45-10 Saturday before a sparse crowd of 14,876 at Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium in a game that wasn't as close as it appeared on the scoreboard.

Using solid defensive containment and converting turnovers and defensive stops into points, the Rams (4-6, 3-3 Mountain West Conference) scored 38 points in the first half and headed into the locker room up 38-3.

C SU quarterback Caleb Hanie threw for 211 yards and two touchdown passes and rushed for another in the blowout victory.

"I thought (Hanie) played very well. He managed the football team and made some critical completions on third downs," said CSU head coach Sonny Lubick. "He's becoming more composed with each football game."

Junior wide receiver David Anderson also threw a touchdown pass on his first career attempt, finding a diving Dustin Osborn for the second score of the game.

"Some of the guys were saying I threw up a duck," Anderson said, laughing. "But, in the stats it doesn't say 'one touchdown, one duck,' it just says 'one touchdown.'"

After the Rams added a field goal, CSU defensive lineman Delroy Parke forced a Dominique Dorcy fumble that was picked up by Brandon Cathy as he scurried for a 26-yard touchdown run. It was 24-0 before the Rebels got two first downs.

"When you score quick, the coaches get worried, thinking it was too easy," Lubick said. "We got off to a good start and had good field position."

UNLV (2-7, 1-5) responded with a 22-yard field goal from Sergio Aguayo, but the Rams would not let the Rebels back in the game. Hanie found tight end Kory Sperry for a 25-yard touchdown, and running back Jimmy Green added an 8-yard touchdown run before halftime.

The Rams were playing so well that by the end of the third quarter most of the second and third team players saw playing time.

UNLV ended the game with 287 yards of offense to CSU's 384. Dorsey, the leading rusher in the MWC, was held 89 yards on the ground, well short of his 125-yard average.

"That was a one-sided game, no doubt," said UNLV head coach John Robinson, who coached his last game at Hughes Saturday.

He is retiring after 17 years of coaching and 132 collegiate victories.

"Man, it's frustrating thinking about what could have been," Dreessen said. "We play like this against (Colorado), BYU and New Mexico, we're sitting pretty playing in December."

The Rams now turn their focus to the last game of the season at Air Force Saturday. Game time is set for 1 p.m.

Game notes:

Linebacker Luke Adkins was injured with a knee injury during the first half, he did not return. Safety Travis Garcia posted a career-high 11 tackles, including two for yards lost, to go with one interception.