To the editor:

In response to Vince Adams’ article “Musgrave accomplishes rising star status,” I would like to suggest that he checks his facts before throwing out accusations of fascism. Marilyn Musgrave and other backers of the amendment to protect marriage see the issue as it is – the need to protect the sanctity of one of humanity’s oldest and most cherished institutions. That hardly seems like “fascist values” to me. And to say that Musgrave hasn’t represented Northern Colorado’s values is, at best, a misrepresentation of the facts. Marilyn Musgrave has helped to eliminate the tax on farm equipment and fought against a congressional bill proposed by Democrats to raise taxes on gasoline, which would hit farmers in our congressional district hard. She also worked with Gov. Bill Owens to pass over $1 billion in tax cuts in the state to help create jobs. Helping farmers and helping to create jobs – that sounds like Northern Colorado values to me. Go to www.musgrave2004.com. All the information you need on her positions is right there.

Dustin Harper

Junior Economics Major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Who are you to tell us which issues are important to us? In your Oct. 13 “Our View” column by the Collegian editorial staff, you state that issues like health care, the economy, and the war in Iraq should affect our vote more than issues like homosexual marriage and abortion.

I am a man, so I will never have to face the possibility of being pregnant with a child I didn’t plan and don’t want. But I also acknowledge that a fetus may be an individual life. If it is, then we are allowing the mass-murder of millions of people, who are the most innocent victims (children). In my mind, this is far more important than the cost of prescription drugs, what our military does or doesn’t do in Iraq, or whether I have a job when I graduate.

I am heterosexual and white, so I don’t face much discrimination based on my skin color or sexual preference. But I know that homosexuals and minorities are victims of discrimination and racism. In my view, this is a great injustice. Stopping this is much more important to me than next year’s taxes or the price of gasoline.

I have many opinions. But it’s up to me (not you) to prioritize them into my vote. To vote based only on the issues that affect me is socially irresponsible. And to vote based on what you say is important to me is just mindless.

Kevin Stephenson

Graduate Student, Electrical Engineering