Authors: Amy Resseguie

The newly formed CSU Alcohol Task Force will hold its first meeting at 3 p.m. today in the Lory Student Center North Ballroom.

The meeting, which is open to the public, will allow task force and community members to meet each other and to establish the task force’s role and responsibilities in the coming months, said Lt. Gov. Jane Norton, task force chairwoman.

“This meeting is what is going to get us organized and launched,” Norton said.

The task force will be divided into four subcommittees that will address:

– CSU alcohol policies, protocols and enforcement

– Student behavior and educational and intervention programs

– Alcohol-related legislation, distribution and advertising

– Alcohol use at Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium

Norton said the most important item on today’s agenda is public comment.

“If the number of calls and e-mails I have received is any indicator of interest, I think there will be a lot of people at the meeting,” Norton said. “I think people realize that it is a big society issue and there are not going to be any silver-bullet solutions.”

Task force member and Associated Students of CSU President Katie Clausen said she is not sure what issues will be specifically addressed, but she will be presenting the task force with ASCSU legislation regarding the alcohol ban at Hughes Stadium.

“I’d like to have an in-depth discussion about Hughes, because I think it’s a really good lead-in to that this is not the problem,” Clausen said. “We need a culture shift, and policy is not going to affect culture.”

Clausen said she hopes the task force will begin addressing issues immediately, while they are still fresh. She also said she would like to see more concern for student opinions.

Jarrod Kay, task force member and president of the CSU Residence Hall Association, agreed.

“I’d like to see the administration start working more closely with the students and to keep them in mind,” Kay said.

Kay said that after the riots in August and sophomore Samantha Spady’s death because of acute alcohol poisoning on Sept. 5, there haven’t been any serious alcohol-related issues.

“If you look at it now, it’s died down, but the task force continues to keep (CSU) in the limelight,” Kay said.

Jim Weber, another task force member and assistant director of the CSU Drug and Alcohol Education Unit, said he has heard many students are upset about the lingering negative publicity surrounding CSU.

“The majority of students are not riotous, drunken students,” Weber said.

Weber said he hopes the task force can combine resources from across campus and throughout the community to address that issue.

“I think it will be very helpful to have all the key players in one place,” Weber said.

Alcohol Task Force Meetings:

Today, 3 p.m. North Ballroom, LSC

Oct. 28, 3 p.m. Room 228, LSC

Nov. 18, 3 p.m., West Ballroom, LSC

Dec. 9, 3 p.m., Room 228, LSC

Jan. 20, 3 p.m., Cherokee Park Room, LSC

Jan. 27, 3 p.m., North Ballroom, LSC

All meetings are open to the public