Q & A with Green Lemon

Authors: Anna Welle

Not excited about the local music scene lately? Don’t be so sour.

Green Lemon, recently listed as the number one group of “On-the-verge bands you should know about” in Relix Magazine. Green Lemon is playing at the Aggie Theatre on Friday. For $5, fans (both youths and spirited adults alike) have the opportunity to check out this praised group, which were also named as Jambase’s favorite new band in December 2003.

After an extensive summer tour schedule spanning much of the country, the flavorful band that calls Fort Collins home is excited to take a month-long breather from the road. The group will be working on recording a single to add to its self-titled album.

The Collegian sat down with bassist M.J. Fioravanti, keyboardist Jonathan Cordero, guitarist Lincoln Greenhaw, drummer Chris Cox and guitarist Wayne Allen (all members contribute to vocals).

The Collegian: How is your fan scene while touring?

Fioravanti: It depends on the location of the United States.

Cordero: Yeah, South Carolina’s really good to us. North Carolina can break off and float into the ocean for all I care.

Fioravanti: Rhode Island is also bada**.

Greenhaw: Arizona can also break off and float into the ocean, too. (laughter)

Cox: We like Charleston, S.C. It’s a good time. We like San Diego, also a real good time.

Cordero: We love the kids in New York.

Cox: It’s swelling. Our audience is swelling. It’s more like a virus than a band, really.

Cordero: It’s very infectious.

Collegian: Does the crowd really influence your performance?

Fioravanti: Yes. Certain times and to certain members differently than others, but overall it makes us play a better show if the crowd is into it.

Cordero: And if they’ve been drinking.

Fioravanti: If it’s a crowd full of strippers we don’t play as well.

Cox: We had this crowd in Oklahoma a couple weeks ago and kids were just jumping nonstop with energy the whole night, and that really affects me, personally, when people are jumping up and down for a good 45 minutes. That’s aerobic exercise, man.

Collegian: When you guys are playing in all the different festivals, are there any certain bands that you like to see or any groups you sought out to see?

Fioravanti: Well, there’s certain bands. I never really expected a lot of the best bands that I saw.

Cordero: Robert Randolph is good. We all like that one.

Fioravanti: Morning 40 Federation.

Greenhaw: Robert Bradley’s Blackwater Surprise.

Fioravanti: We saw a lot of great acts at Wakarusa Festival, but most of the festivals there weren’t too many bands doing anything new.

(Matt Fioravanti leaves for a Sting concert.)

Collegian: What do you think about the musical genre “jam band”?

Allen: I think for the most part that a lot of it’s bland. We improvise a lot. I think it’s good when 10-minute songs happen, but a lot of the times they don’t need to be 10-minutes.

Greenhaw: I think the term jam band comes from this group of bands from around Phish’s time period that all listened to King Crimson and the Grateful Dead a lot. They had these really weird, messed-up time signatures and long songs. I think things are kind of splintering in the whole jam-band scene. People are going their different directions. We’ve noticed now that there are a lot of bluegrass bands and a lot more trance, electronic-oriented bands out there that are all included in the jam band genre and they couldn’t be further from each other.

Cox: People classify us as that, but I wouldn’t say that describes our music by any means.

Allen: It’s just an easy classification if you’re not a rock ‘n’ roll band and you’re not a hip-hop group.

Greenhaw: And you’re not a pop group.

Allen: Yeah, then you’re a jam band. Which, I don’t really take offense to; it doesn’t bother me that much.

Collegian: It just doesn’t elaborate too much.

Allen: Yeah.

Collegian: What do you think about ‘reggadelic conceptual improv jam to intergalactic skankin music?’ (a description on the group’s Web site)

Cox: That’s kind of what we’ve come up with.

Allen: We have a new name, called reggae krapp.

Greenhaw: That’s what best describes us. It’s just for fun though. You come up with names and that sort of thing. We like to pretty much play every different type of music. When I go to a show, I always thought that that’s my funnest time. Like at Phish shows when they just pull out something totally random, like when they play “Freebird” and then some crazy funk jam. You get a total musical experience. It’s not just the same, like heavy metal. If you go to a hard rock show it’s just hard rock; same beats, same everything for the whole show. Or a southern rock show.

Allen: Let’s not start talking s**t.

Cordero: On the record, Widespread sucks.

Collegian: Any last words?

Allen: The kids yo, the kids.

Check out the band at www.greenlemonband.com