Authors: Scott Bondy

While the competitive lacrosse season launches in the early spring months, the CSU team is already hard at work. With a young roster, there is much work to do and high expectations to fill, but bringing coach Flip Naumburg his fourth USLIA National Championship will be a main priority for the team.

“We’re a young team with lots of new faces this year,” Naumburg said. “But we have a lot to look forward to.”

The Rams finished the 2004 season No. 2 behind California-Santa Barbara, which beat CSU in the finals. But as Naumburg insists, his program is moving in the right direction, and another year will bring about new challenges.

“I’m trying to build the ideal club sports lacrosse program,” Naumburg said. “We’ve done a good job so far and I look for it to continue this year.”

The annual alumni game took place last Saturday as the current team beat the alumni 10-9. It was a hard-fought game on both sides, but the current team was lucky to slip out with a victory. Many of the alumni being from previous CSU championship teams gave the newbie Rams a glimpse of what the season will bring.

“This final score was a far cry from the romp that this game has been over the years. I suppose it shouldn’t surprise me, as our alumni was more talented than most of the teams we will play this upcoming season,” Naumburg said.

The Rams definitely have the talent to compete at a very high level again this year, returning two starters who sit among the top 10 in career points at CSU. Seniors Nick Harper, sixth on the all-time list, and Tim Farquar, ranked eighth, will lead the team along with junior defenseman and native Fort Collins player Kellen Bershinsky.

In other club sports news

The men’s soccer team will host Colorado University this Friday night under the lights on the Intramural Field. This highly anticipated match will pit two of the conference’s toughest teams against one another.

“We’re undefeated so far this year but we really haven’t faced a tough team,” said senior midfielder Chris Taylor. “It’ll be a real close game, and a fun one to watch.”

The CSU baseball team continues its success in fall ball. For the first time in school history, the Rams took 3-of-4 games this past weekend against Otero Junior College. While the true season doesn’t begin until spring, the baseball team is using this time to get new players acclimated and work out any kinks.

“We want to see where we stand as far as setting a roster for the true season,” said senior second baseman David Shultz. “We look pretty good out there and I think we can even be better than last year.”

That says a lot considering the baseball team won the National Club Baseball Championship last season.

A new club sports team on campus has returned (after six years) and will be looking for immediate success this season. The CSU women’s rugby team, which can be found in action on the IM fields this Sunday against the Eastern Rockies Rugby Football Union Under 19s (a regional all-star team), has a lot of talent and experience.

“We have a lot of girls that have played high school and on select-side teams,” said senior scrumhalf Val Macheel. “We’re an exciting team to watch and we play just like the guys.”