Authors: Bob Fernandez

For the first time in over two years, Fort Collins was home to a collegiate cross country meet, as CSU hosted the CSU Open at Cottonwood Glenn Park on Saturday.

CSU runners took full advantage of being able to run on their home soil. The women’s team finished first and the men’s team finished second in their respective divisions. Western State College finished first in the men’s division.

Three CSU runners finished in the top five in the women’s individual standings, and five CSU runners finished in the top 10.

CSU junior Danielle Korb finished second overall with a time of 23:58. Korb’s teammate, senior Colleen Blair, was right behind her with a third-place finish and a time of 24:00. Seniors Michelle Carman, Nicole Feest and Sarah MacKay finished fifth, seventh and eighth respectively.

Western State’s Agnes Kroneraff finished first in the women’s standings with a time of 23:53.

The CSU men’s team was led by senior Mike Nicks, who finished third overall with a time of 25:54.

CSU junior Matt Cianciulli finished in seventh-place with a time of 26:22, junior Paul Michel finished in eighth place with 26:30 and freshman Andres Urbina finished in fifteenth place with 26:56.

CSU track coach Del Hessel said he was happy with both teams’ performances but plans for the teams to conserve their energy so they can do their best running later in the season.

“I liked our effort, but we are trying to peak later in the season,” Hessel said. “We will drop our miles as we go along and see where we’re at.”

The Rams will have less than two weeks off before heading to Minneapolis, Minn. to compete in the Sept. 25 Roy Griak Invitational.