Authors: Paul Baker

As everyone settled in this past weekend to watch football, there were a couple CSU club sports teams that were getting ready to fight their own battles. The men’s and women’s soccer teams had two games, starting their respective seasons.

The men first played on Friday night under the lights of the intramural fields on campus against Western State. The game was a good one for the Rams as they won 8-0.

“We did really well today,” senior Steve Krecsbach said. “We put the ball in the back of the net when we needed to.”

The Rams continued their success when they traveled to Colorado Christian University on Sunday. The team used great offensive play to win 13-0.

“We played really well as a team for the first weekend of play,” Krecsbach said.

The team’s next game is tonight at 7 p.m. in the annual Green-Gold game, which is always an exciting battle, pitting the Rams A-team against the B-team.

The women’s green soccer team (B-team) was also in action at home over the weekend. The women played the University of Northern Colorado on Friday night in a game that ended in a 2-2 tie.

The women’s green squad will have this weekend off before playing a home series with the Buffs from CU. The gold team will head to Boulder for the University of Colorado Tournament on Saturday and Sunday.

Coming up this weekend, there are a handful of games that club sports teams are participating in. The men and women’s rugby teams are traveling to Laramie, Wyo. to compete in the Jackalope Tournament against a strong contingent of other collegiate teams. They will be competing with teams such as Utah, Wyoming, Colorado Mines, Colorado, Northern Colorado, New Mexico, Nebraska and Colorado College.

The baseball team also starts its fall home schedule this weekend with a doubleheader as they host conference rival Colorado, a match up of the two best teams in the conference.

“We are really excited to play this game,” said David Schultz president of club baseball. “It should be an exciting game to watch.”

The baseball team’s season opener against Trinidad State was canceled last weekend due to rain. The first game is scheduled for noon at Rams Field.