Two Down, One to Go

Authors: Joelle Milholm Laura Epple

Cougars fans are still waiting for a win under the direction of their new coach, Brian Heffernan, as the CSU volleyball team won its second road game of the week Wednesday night. The Rams advance to 4-1, with one more trip to go before they return to Moby Arena.

The Cougars came out strong, taking the first match 23-30 and holding CSU to a .100 hitting percentage. However, the Rams declawed them after that, winning the next three, 30-15, 30-26 and 30-23.

Senior middle blocker Katie Jo Shirley-Cahoon led the charge with 17 kills, four service aces, four blocks and hit .414. Junior outside hitter Casey Bauer and senior middle blocker Bri Frech also eclipsed double digits in kills, with 12 and 11 respectively.

Sophomore libero and setter Kristen Karlik also had a stellar game, racking up a match-high 17 digs while senior setter Melissa Courtney had 53 assists in the effort.

“The type of competition we saw tonight is going to be exactly what we’re going to see this weekend,” Heffernan said in a press release. “We have our hands full, but again we’re going to focus on the small victories in the process, and trying to make sure we’re improving on our side of the net. And hopefully, in time, good things will start to happen.”

Washington State will be facing No. 22 Loyola Marymont (2-1), Cincinnati (3-0), and Miami (1-0) in the LMU Furama Hotel Invitational this weekend.

Some of these small victories can be attributed to Cougar outside hitter Kelly Rosin who led Washington State with 17 kills, 12 digs and three blocks.

On the net, CSU out-blocked the Cougars 11 to eight and out-hit them .287 to .165. The Rams also posted 21 more kills than Washington State, pounding 68 versus the Cougars’ meager 47.

In an effort to avoid a quick eradication, WSU came from behind to tie the third game at 23. However, Shirley-Cahoon and Courtney got the job done, going in for the kill with the final two points.

This victory was the first time CSU escaped the lair of the Bohler Gym unscathed, bringing the all-time series record to 1-2.

CSU started the season ranked No. 11 in the USA Today/CSTV Coach’s Top 25 Poll, but has advanced to No. 10 after beating Colorado on Tuesday. The Rams will now head to Spokane, Washington to face the Bulldogs of Gonzaga, who have so far recorded a record of 1-3. The match will take place at 8 p.m. tonight.