Authors: Lindsay Robinson

“Health for the Mind, Body and Soul” was the motto Wednesday as campus organizations and groups gathered in the Lory Student Center Plaza for the Health and Wellness Fair.

The event was sponsored by the Wellness Cluster, which includes the University Counseling Center, Campus Recreation and Hartshorn Health Service.

Dominic Brewer, senior staff counselor at the counseling center, said the event is held to make students more aware of the services available to them on campus.

“We wanted to make ourselves more visible so students could utilize our services more often,” Brewer said. “Student fees pay for the services so students might as well take advantage of us.”

The counseling center offers individual, group and couples therapy, as well as a stress management program.

“If (students) are under a lot of stress with personal issues, we’re the center designated for them to go to, to get some guidance and support,” Brewer said.

Gwen Sieving, a health educator at the health center, was handing out information on tobacco education and prevention.

“We’re here because the only age group of people that continue to rise in terms of (tobacco) usage is college-age,” she said. “There’s a huge need to help people quit or get them not to start.”

Sieving said 36 percent of CSU students smoke, compared to only 18 percent of Fort Collins residents.

Representatives from the Hartshorn Dental Clinic also had information on quitting smoking and were handing out samples of Mint Snuff, an herbal product that eases an oral fixation without the harmful side effects of using tobacco products.

“Smoking is pretty prevalent on campus so we’re just getting this information out to students to know there’s an alternative,” said Mary Demchock, a registered dental hygienist at Hartshorn.

Casey Holstein, a certified group fitness instructor at the Student Recreation Center, was giving out information on the group fitness classes, yoga, Pilates and personal training offered there.

She encourages students to take advantage of the programs available at the recreation center.

“It’s good for your body, but it’s also a great stress reliever and good for your overall well-being,” said Holstein, a senior nutrition and food science major.

The Wellness Zone, which provides students with people to talk to about various issues they might have, also had a booth at the fair.

“We have nutritionists, massage, a ‘sexpert,’ the Career Center; just a lot of services that provide for students,” said Linzi Gibson, a senior psychology major manning the booth.

There were also several religious groups represented, including Catholic and Buddhist organizations, as well as the United Campus Ministry, which is not affiliated with a specific religion.

“We offer a lot of personal spiritual growth opportunities,” said Jon Dodson, a senior in forestry management and member of UCM. “It would be beneficial to students to take advantage of our programs because we’re not affiliated with any one religious denomination and that allows us to interact with students on their personal spiritual journey.”

UCM offers many programs, such as Meditation at Noon, which helps students explore different types of meditation and is held Mondays at noon in the Danforth Chapel on the Oval.

“It’s a really good stress reliever and a way to organize your thoughts in the middle of a hectic week,” Dodson said.

UCM also hosts Food for Thought, a time when students can discuss their views on current spiritual issues over food, and Taize, a worship service centered on meditation and silence. Food for Thought takes place at 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the UCM House, 629 S. Howes St., and Taize is held 10 p.m. Thursdays at the Danforth Chapel.

Jamie Sugarman, an open-option freshman, said she enjoyed the Health Fair and thought it was worthwhile event.

“It’s important to show students what’s available to them in an open area where there are a lot of other students and to keep them informed on how to stay healthy,” Sugarman said.