Trial Fiascos Abound

Authors: JP Eichmiller

The first week of September brought with it the start of football and an extended weekend to enjoy it in. While the results of the gridiron battle will not be celebrated much in Fort Collins, they did provide a much needed distraction for those paying attention to the masquerades occurring in our nation’s courts last week.

Colorado offered temporary relief from the Republican National Convention in New York last week by abruptly dismissing the rape charges that had been directed at one Kobe Bryant. Bryant, son of former American Basketball Association great Joe “Jellybean” Bryant, will apparently walk away from the ordeal he helped create, losing nothing that can’t be replaced by the contract extension he signed this summer. So as not to appear as though he was leaving completely unscathed, Bryant’s accuser did demand of him a “confession,” although “concession” would also be an apt term:

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident in the same way that I do … I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

In exchange for his freedom, Bryant was allowed to trade a statement alluding to the fact that he and his accuser did not see eye to eye on the issues that occurred that fateful night in Eagle. Imagine the gridlock in our courts and overcrowding in our jails that could be avoided if more victims and their families had such a Christian heart for forgiveness and understanding. Bryant will also no doubt continue to express his empathy by making a donation of an unspecified amount to the alleged victim’s favorite checking account.

Back in Detroit, the government continues to impress with its hard-handed tactics toward terrorists. America had two less to worry about as Karim Koubriti and Abdel-Ilah Elmardoudi were cleared of any wrongdoing. Unfortunately for the defendants, the findings came about a year too late, as both had been convicted of conspiracy to provide material support for terrorism in June 2003.

The Justice Department was forced to eat some major crow and asked U.S. District Judge Gerald Rosen to throw out the charges against the two men in a case that was once looked upon as a major victory in our domestic battle against evil and all who harbor evildoers. The department that looks up to John Ashcroft for guidance and prayer admitted to prosecutorial misconduct. The judge cited, “There is at least a reasonable probability that the jury’s verdict would have been different had constitutional standards been met.”

Who would have thought that “constitutional standards” would be required in a case regarding guys with such hard-to-pronounce names? These liberal judges are ruining the country.

So that all faith is not lost in the prosecutors of this country, let us pay tribute to a guilty verdict. While the government may be low on evidence to convict terrorists, there was no such shortage in the case of Marine reservist Sgt. Gary Pittman. Sgt. Pittman was next up on the long list of low-level enlisted soldiers about to take the fall for the atrocities that were leveled upon Iraqi prisoners at the hands of American soldiers. The prosecutors were able to apply the lauded method of using witnesses’ testimony (in exchange for their own reduced accusations) to secure a guilty verdict of dereliction of duty and abuse of prisoners.

While those who abused prisoners should get what they’ve got coming to them, this is another reflection of a continuing pattern. No matter who dies, what occurs and who ordered it, in regards to the war in Iraq, the buck never stops at the top. When something goes wrong, heads will roll, but they will never be one you know, and fault will never lie with the president or those who surround him.