Authors: James Baetke

Police responded to a call Sunday night at the Sigma Pi fraternity house, 709 Wagner Drive, where a female CSU student was found dead in an unused room.

Preliminary toxicology results from the Larimer County Coroner’s Office show that alcohol may have been a factor in her death.

The woman has been identified as 19-year-old Samantha Spady of Beatrice, Neb. Spady was found fully clothed, and the coroner’s office determined after an autopsy Monday morning that there was no obvious trauma to her body and no foul play was involved.

A fraternity member who does not live in the house found the body, which had likely been there at least 12 hours from the previous night, police said. Police officers and an investigator from the coroner’s office responded to the scene after a 911 call at 6:22 p.m. on Sunday.

The house lies in a Greek community made up of several fraternities and sororities. Spady was a member of the Chi Omega sorority last year, but she left the sorority some time last year. She was a freshman open-option seeking business major, according to CSU’s online directory.

Clusters of mourners whispered and sobbed on the lawn of the Sigma Pi fraternity house Sunday evening.

A large number of Fort Collins police were present conducting an investigation and preventing people from entering the crime scene. CSU Police Department was also present in assisting with the investigation, as were victim assistance counselors.

Yvonne Paez, public information officer for CSUPD, was on the scene Sunday and said CSUPD was assisting Fort Collins Police Services in whatever was needed. Paez said since the incident occurred at a CSU-related fraternity, it is not uncommon for university police to help.

CSU sophomore Edie Aberle, 19, a business administration major, was Spady’s roommate in Westfall Hall last year.

“She was just a really fun girl, just really fun to be around,” Aberle said.

Linda Kuk, vice president for student affairs, released a statement Monday: “Colorado State University is shocked and deeply saddened about the report of a female student found dead at the Sigma Pi fraternity house located west of campus. The university will continue to work closely with Fort Collins police and will take appropriate action pending results of the investigation. Colorado State University administration is very concerned about the situation and has sent counselors to help university students and families affected by this tragedy.”

The last time Aberle and Spady spoke was on the phone last Tuesday.

“I’m shocked that I’m not going to be able to see her or talk to her again,” Aberle said. “I don’t understand how someone can just be gone.”