Authors: Lila Hickey

The Associated Students of CSU decided Wednesday night to deny emergency status for a resolution encouraging professors to take their classes to the annual President’s Fall Address and University Picnic.

College of Natural Resources Sen. Bret Gulick sought emergency status for the resolution, which would allow the Senate to vote on it immediately, forgoing a committee review and second reading. Gulick said he felt the resolution should be passed as soon as possible, to allow ample time for the suggestion to be distributed to professors.

College of Natural Sciences Sen. Erik Healey successfully moved to deny Gulick’s motion. Although he said he fully supported the resolution, Healey disagreed with the use of emergency status.

“We had two pieces of emergency status legislation at the last meeting,” Healey said. “I didn’t want to set a precedent that emergency status should be used for things we don’t need it for.”

After being denied emergency status, the resolution was sent to the Academics committee, which may make revisions to the resolution and then return it to the Senate, to be voted on, next Wednesday.

The resolution, written by Gulick, expresses concern that many students and faculty will miss the address because of classes and encourages faculty members to attend the picnic with their students.

ASCSU Vice President Ben Goldstein said he believed the resolution would pass unanimously.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to talk to other students and interact with their professors out of class,” Goldstein said. “I know professors value their class time, and it’s hard to get even a few minutes at the beginning of a class [to tell students about ASCSU]. At the same time, I think we need to support President Penley.”

Last year’s address was the first time students had a chance to hear Penley discuss his plans for the university. ASCSU passed similar legislation to encourage students to attend.

Goldstein said he believed last year’s legislation had a positive effect and hopes for a similar outcome this fall.

“I think it’s really important that students hear [the administration’s views] straight from the horse’s mouth,” said Brian Hardouin, the director of RamRide and a co-sponsor of the resolution. “It allows students to figure out the mind of the administration.”

If passed, copies of the resolution will be distributed to all academic departments, as well as the offices of the President, the Provost, and the University Public Relations Department.

“It shows the Provost that students really care about the President’s Fall Address,” Goldstein said.

The fall address will take place Sept. 14 on the Oval from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. This annual event will also feature a free picnic lunch.