Authors: Krystle Clayton

While students have the option of joining of the 38 active fraternities or sororities on the CSU campus, choosing one that is right is not always an easy decision.

Friday will mark the beginning of Rush Week for eight of the social sororities and 13 of the social fraternities on campus. But these are not the only options for students who would like to become involved in Greek Life.

In addition to the Greeks who will begin Rush Friday, there are several lesser-known Greek organizations. On campus there are a total of six historically black fraternities and sororities that are active on campus and a total of six fraternities and sororities that are geared toward Latino and Latina students.

However, these groups will not be seen during Rush Week.

“Our recruitment is called Recruitment Week and happens in the first couple of weeks of school,” said Arthur Garcia, a senior business major and president of the Iota chapter of Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Inc., a Latino-focused organization.

There are vast differences in recruitment practices and requirements for these organizations.

“Membership intake is more informal and individualized,” said Mark Koepsell, director of Greek Life. “These groups have different national rules that they have to follow. One of the requirements is to have an established grade point average of a 2.5.”

There are other membership variations for these Greek societies.

There is a longer period of time for people to become active members, ranging from a few weeks to a several months, Koepsell said.

He also said these groups hold informational programs so they can get to know prospective members, and the prospective members can get to know more about the fraternity or sorority they are interested in joining.

These groups are culturally based, Koepsell said, and are largely devoted to history, giving back to their communities and the brotherhoods and sisterhoods that come along with becoming a member. They are also a lifelong commitment, which means a lifetime of serving and giving back to the community.

“With minority Greeks you find a more tight-knit community and there is not as much emphasis on dues as there is on brotherhood,” said Nathan Castillo, a senior psychology major and member of the Iota chapter. “I know I will always be a member … that’s why most of us in the organization have the letters burned into our skin, as a reminder that this thing is for real.”

Tiffany Jones, a junior math major and member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., an organization for black women, suggests students research the multicultural organization they are interested in before joining.

“Talk to members of the organizations on campus to find out about their interests and personalities,” Jones said. “Base it on the national (organization) and not a local one. Save up money, do community service and know members of the one you chose. Pray about it and make sure that it is the right decision for you because it is a lifelong commitment.”

For more information visit:

National Pan-Hellenic Council nphchq.org

Latino Greek Council Nalfo.org