Authors: Jesse McLain

Eighteen more students will face judicial review in connection with last weekend’s riots, but they have not been suspended.

The university already suspended five students on Tuesday, pending their judicial hearings.

These five students are the ones who were arrested in connection with the riots, while police served the additional 18 with noise violations, said Linda Kuk, vice president for student affairs and dean of admissions.

Twenty-four total people were served with noise violations from the riots, according to last weekend’s press releases from Fort Collins Police Services.

The level of involvement for the 18 students who received noise violations is still in question, while the administration considers the five arrested students’ to be more clear, Kuk said. This is why those five were suspended.

“(Today) they are going to take a look at the city video that exists,” she said.

The administration is taking a zero-tolerance stance in connection with the riots. CSU is working in conjunction with local law enforcement in reviewing evidence, but the university is handling academic repercussions independently.

“We will collaborate and cooperate in terms of evidence, photographs and videos, things like that, but the outcomes and the disciplinary processes are in fact separate,” said Tom Milligan, assistant vice president for university relations. “We want to make sure there’s a conclusion quickly on those who have been suspended.”

Milligan said results of each judicial hearing would vary based on each student’s individual case. It remains unclear whether students will face consequences simply for being in the vicinity of the riots.

“What we are after is to have people understand that involvement in these types of activities is not acceptable to the institution and there are repercussions from it, but in our view that means (those) that were directly involved as well as people who are bystanders to a certain degree,” Milligan said. “There are consequences to being bystanders in these types of things because, as we’ve said from the beginning, that’s part of the problem.”

ASCSU President Katie Clausen supports the administration’s actions but feels sorry for the students.

“I think it’s embarrassing for those who weren’t part of it and those who were,” Clausen said.

Milligan, along with other university officials, is calling for anyone with evidence or information to come forward.

Mark Koepsell, director of Greek Life, feels the Greek organizations operate around basic principles that would compel those in fraternities and sororities to come forward with any information. Both of last weekend’s riots occurred in close proximity to Greek houses.

“Some of the individuals facing hearings are members in fraternities,” Koepsell said. “The entire Greek system is based upon self-governance and being responsible for your own actions.”

Kuk said it is likely that further university disciplinary action will follow, and additional students are likely to face investigation.

“I don’t think it’s over,” Kuk said.