Authors: James Baetke

supposedly

Fort Collins police are alerting residents that a prowler may be in the area of Stuart and Shields streets. In one instance, the peeping tom entered a woman’s bedroom and asked to get in bed with her.

There are at least three reports claiming that a man victimized women by committing a peeping activity dating back as far as June 24 and as recently as Aug. 6.

“This kind of behavior happens frequently within our community. We are seeing a pattern of prowler activity in a certain area,” said Rita Davis, Fort Collins Police Services spokesperson.

The 1300 block of Village Park Court and the 1700 block of Village Park Circle are among the concentrated areas where a man is allegedly peeping on women, according to FCPS.

The suspect descriptions in these incidents are similar but not identical and may be connected, police say.

Among the three reports, women ranging from 21 to 23 years old all describe a Caucasian male with a stocky athletic build who is 20 to 30 years old, standing about 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet tall, with brown or blonde hair.

The first report occurred on June 24 when a 23-year-old woman claimed she found a man standing on her back porch during the late evening on the 1300 block of Village Park Court.

The prowler fled the area, but the next night the woman reported finding her back door open. Nothing was missing, and the victim speculated her roommate could have left the door ajar.

Two 21-year-old females filed a report on July 16 stating that a man trespassed on their back porch on July 6 and was continually performing peeping activity. The women also stated on Aug. 6 that someone tried to break into their back sliding glass door while they were away but was unsuccessful. The incident in this report took place on the 1700 block of Heritage Circle.

In a third report, for a reported incident occurring on the same block on Heritage Circle, a 23-year-old female stated she was awakened at approximately 4:30 a.m. to a flashlight shining in her face. An unknown male, fitting the previous description, stood over her bed with a flashlight and asked to get in bed with her. Fleeing the room, the victim woke a male friend on the couch while the suspect ran out the front door.

Police say the suspect possibly entered through an unlocked front door.

Although the victims cannot be confirmed as being CSU students, the CSU Police Department is aware these incidents are taking place only four blocks from campus.

“Any time we have a prowler, it is a priority,” said Lt. Karl Swenson of CSUPD.

“We see no evidence of this individual directly on campus. We have our normal patrol out on foot patrol,” Swenson said.

Capt. Bob Chaffee of CSUPD stated in a news release that community members should use commonsense techniques to avoid being a victim of such crimes.

“Please remind your friends … to use their locks on their windows and doors, not allow unknown persons to enter residence halls or campus buildings when they are closed, and to report all suspicious activity/persons to police as soon as possible,” Chaffee stated in the release.

Davis said this suspected prowler is not a huge concern now, but she insists it is behavior that must be sought out by police. The police are trying to get the word out through fliers and by alerting the media, Davis said.

Jody Jessup-Anger, interim director for CSU’s Women’s Programs and Studies, said it is important for women and men alike to be educated about crime and to be assertive if they are victimized in a criminal act.

“Students are typically assaulted by people they know,” said Jessup-Anger, who also emphasized commonsense techniques in keeping safe. “We all need to do things to minimize our vulnerability.”