This Week in Music

Authors: Andrew Nuth

Fort Collins has a great night life once you know where to look. There are plenty of ways to keep your nights full both on and off campus. As any good college town should, Fort Collins has many places to listen to live music.

Thursday evening on the Lory Student Center West Lawn is the Ram Welcome Carnival featuring food, games, prizes and music.

Friday:

Slim Cessna’s Auto Club will be performing with Drag the River and Matson Jones at the Aggie. Expect to hear bluegrass and rock influenced alternative country from Slim Cessna and Drag the River, and a more punkish sound from the cello-wielding Matson Jones. The Aggie is a Fort Collins classic and is located at 204 S. College Ave. in Old Town, close enough to campus that you can walk to it if you don’t have a car.

The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $2 online at www.aggietheatre.com

Crackula, a horror-punk band performs with Porcelain Dolls and Reborn Beware at the Starlight. The Starlight, 167 N. College Ave., is also close to campus, on College and Laporte Avenues. Plan on the show being a horror-filled spectacle, and don’t be too upset if you get a little fake blood sprayed on you.

Tickets are $7 for under 21 and $5 for 21 and up. Show starts at 9 p.m.

Check www.thestarlight.com for more information.

Saturday:

The Dark Star Orchestra, a band that recreates Grateful Dead concerts, performs Saturday at The Mishawaka Inn. If you don’t have a car, you might want to enlist the help of a friend who does. Mishawaka is a drive, but well worth the trip, about 14 miles up the Poudre Canyon on Highway 14. Expect to see more than just another Grateful Dead cover band, instead you’ll experience recreations of Grateful Dead concerts. From the set list to the microphone placement, The Dark Star Orchestra tries to make each show as authentic as possible.

Tickets are $20, and the show starts at 8 p.m. Log on to www.mishawakaconcerts,com for more information.

Don’t have a car? No problem, go see DJ Greyboy at the Starlight. Expect to hear something different and a little more creative than your average DJ. Greyboy performs songs, not just beats.

Tickets are $14, the show begins at 9 p.m.

Sunday

Magic Head plays on Sunday with Fatty Jenkins at The Mishawaka. With their funky blend of jazz and rock, this afternoon concert is sure to last into the evening.

Tickets are $5 and the show starts at 2 p.m.

Monday

The Global Funk Council is free at The Starlight. This is your chance to be treated to an evening of funk for free beginning between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Tuesday

Yamagata plays at The Starlight. Expect to hear original improvisational rock and jazz influenced music as well as covers ranging from the Beastie Boys to Miles Davis. This show is $5 for the Under 21 crowd, and free to everyone else, it begins between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Wednesday

Another Free show at The Starlight features Sol, a national hip-hop and soul probeginning between 9p.m. and 10 p.m.

If you’d rather go dancing than to a concert check out these clubs.

The Rock, located between Fort Collins and Loveland on College has 18 and over nights on Friday and Saturday.

Suite 152 in Old Town Square has 18 and over nights Tuesday through Thursday. Tuesday there is no cover, and it’s also open table night (like an open mic night, but for DJs). You can listen to local DJs, or even showcase your own skills. Wednesday is hip-hop night, and is Suite 152’s most popular night. Thursday is Latin night, and there are free salsa lessons from 9 to 10 p.m.

The Sundance has 18 and over night on Tuesday and is located at 2716 E. Mulberry St.