Authors: Erin Sobon

For students feeling lonely in their new residence halls, a betta fish could be just what the doctor ordered.

According to the CSU Handbook, fish are the only pets allowed in the residence halls.

Betta fish, or Siamese Fighting Fish, are easy to care for and hard to kill. “All they need is clean water and a little bit of food a few times a week,” according to a PetCo pamphlet, 2211 S. College Ave.

“You have to be an idiot to let your betta die,” said Tom Plassmeyer, a junior economic major. “Only if you forget about it completely will it die.”

In addition to not being much work, bettas can be relaxing.

“They’re a stress reliever. After a long day of studying, it calms me down to watch my fish swim,” said Russel Cook, a fish owner and associate at PetCo.

“Bettas live and thrive in tiny spaces naturally. The amount of water in a cup is the same space a betta would occupy in the wild,” according to a PetCo pamphlet.

There are many places in Fort Collins students can find betta fish. PetCo and PetsMart, 4432 S. College Ave., sell bettas for under $4.

PetCo sells about 40 to 45 bettas per week to college students during the first few weeks of school.

PetCo and PetsMart offer “Betta Kits” to help first-time owners with their new fish. The “Betta Kit” includes a small aquarium, bowl conditioner, food, an aquatic plant and gravel.

For students looking to save money, Programming Activities Council is hosting a Betta Bowl on September 29 at 7 p.m. at the Durell Center.

At the Betta Bowl, PAC gives out fish bowls to decorate, gravel, fish food and a Betta fish to residents so “they can have something fun in their rooms,” said Marci Colb, a graduate student in student affairs and higher education.

“Betta Bowl is a fun activity which allows residents to have a legal pet in the resident halls.”

(In a Box)

For further questions regarding the Betta Bowl, PAC can be reached at 491-1337.