CSU lacrosse dominates CU

Feb 222004
Authors: Peter Scalia

DENVER — “I’m proud to be a CSU ram,” was the chant Ram fans

gave to CSU’s men’s club lacrosse team Sunday at the Pepsi Center.

And the fans got quite a show in CSU’s 15-4 romp over the Colorado

Buffaloes. CSU took to the field as the CSU fans, who doubled the

number of CU fans, made a ton of noise for the defending national


Both teams came out in the first period feeling each other out

like fighters in a prize title fight. CSU struck first with a Danny

Stevens goal at 13:04 in the first. CU’s Zach Hartman took the next

faceoff on a breakaway but found only the crossbar. The two teams

battled back and forth, getting a feel for the indoor style of play

in the first indoor collegiate lacrosse game in the history of the


Mark Plonkey, part of CSU’s crushing defense, scored a diving

goal with 36 seconds left in the first quarter to make the game


Scoring opened in the second with a CU goal from Jeremy Kellogg

at 13:47. Then at 13:39 CSU answered back with a Nick

Stanitz-Harper goal, making the game 3-1. While on a 5-3 power

play, CSU allowed Tim Leonard to slice through the defense and

score a short-handed goal. But like the CU goal before it, it was

answered quickly. Derek Koll netted a power-play goal at 10:32, 8

seconds after Leonard’s goal.

CSU caught CU in a line change at 5:32 as Koll got his second

goal of the day. Brandon Bailey, who CU coach John Galvin called,

“A player that has great ball control,” showed his skill and made

the game 5-3 at 5:21. After that goal the Rams erupted. “We stepped

up,” CSU defensemen Kurt Nakazono said of the team’s extra


Tim Farquhar and Matt Disney made the game 7-3 after scoring

goals a minute apart. Jeff Logan of CU was sent to the penalty box

for taking a cheap shot on Disney. Stevens scored on a no-look shot

at 3:16 for another power-play goal. Disney added another goal at

1:47 on an open goal when CU goalie Chris Bluse, bit on a fake from

Farquhar. Koll picked up the hat trick in the closing seconds of

the half, putting the game out of reach at 10-3 and capping CSU’s

5-0 run to end the half.

The third quarter was slow moving as Stanitz-Harper and Pat Bird

scored for the Rams and Chris Bok netted the last CU goal with 15

seconds left in the quarter.

“You could tell it was our first (game), but the physicality was

the way we wanted it,” Galvin said.

As the final quarter opened big hits were everywhere. Kellogg

checked Bird into the boards and Bird checked the back of Kellogg’s

head with his right hand and went to the penalty box for five

minutes. The second the Bird penalty ended, Matt Reiss scored for

CSU. Stanitz-Harper picked up his hat trick at 3:31, and Bo Everett

finished the scoring party in the final 30 seconds making the final

score 15-4.

“I thought it was going to be more physical than it was,” said

CSU head coach Flip Naumburg after the game. “This was a exhibition

game, and the league game will be April 17 at Shea in Highlands


Highlands Ranch paramedics should take that as a warning.

 Posted by at 5:00 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.