Authors: Katrice Thomas

No.1 Utah (17-4, 7-0) vs. No. 2 Nevada-Las Vegas (16-4, 5-2)

The Utah women flexed their muscles and showed why they are the team to beat. The Utes downed the second place Rebels 72-55 last Sunday in a televised match.

“We played smart basketball,” head coach Elaine Elliott said. “We negated their strengths for the most part. We played so aggressively.”

Among the most aggressive of the Utes was sophomore and Mountain West Athlete of the Week Kim Smith. She posted her fifth double-double of the season and her second in a row, finishing with 20 points and 10 rebounds. UNLV’s Sheena Moore scored a game-high 21 points in the contest.

UP NEXT: The Utes will try to protect home court this Thursday against the Rams, while UNLV will travel to face San Diego State on Saturday at 5 p.m.

No. 3 New Mexico (13-7, 4-3) vs. No. 4 Wyoming (8-12, 4-3)

The Cowgirls lost a heartbreaker this weekend as the Lobos delivered a 61-56 loss in Wyoming.

“We knew coming into the game that New Mexico presented problems with their size and depth,” said Wyoming head coach Joe Legerski. “They kept bringing in players off the bench, while we were out there with six players. It starts to wear on you.”

Three Cowgirls finished the night in double figures in points, Kristen Lenhardt had 14, Ashley Elliot had 12 and Brenda Pickup ended the game with 11.

New Mexico was led by Julie Briody as she finished with a game high 20 points off the bench.

UP NEXT: Wyoming will face Brigham Young on Thursday at 7:00 p.m., in Provo, Utah and New Mexico will head home to The Pit in Albuquerque to face Air Force on Saturday at 7 p.m.

No. 5 CSU (12-8, 3-4) vs. No. 8 Air Force (3-17, 0-7)

The Air Force Falcons suffered their 11th consecutive loss, falling to Colorado State 83-46 Saturday in Fort Collins.

The Falcons fell behind 21-0 and never fully recovered from the deficit. They notched their first points of the game with 10 minutes, 47 second showing on the clock with two free throws from Amoy Jackson.

Letricia Castillo led the Falcons with nine points. Lindsay Thomas scored a game-high 19 points for the Rams, while Vanessa Espinoza and Melissa Dennett each chipped in 18.

Air Force is still looking for its first road win in conference history and is 2-64 all-time in MWC games.

UP NEXT: Air Force will have another shot at changing history this weekend when they travel to New Mexico on Saturday. The Rams will attempt to give the conference leading Utes their first conference loss of the season on Thursday night in Salt Lake City.

No. 6 BYU (12-9, 2-5) vs. No. 7 San Diego State (7-13, 2-5)

BYU picked up its first conference road win Saturday night, beating San Diego State 82-50 in San Diego. The 32-point margin of victory is the largest this season and the Cougars’ 82 points ties their season-high offensive output.

“This is a really great team effort,” said BYU head coach Jeff Judkins. “Our girls stuck together as a team the whole 40 minutes.”

SDSU had three players reach double figures in scoring, including freshman Michelle Elliott who finished with a career-high 21 points.

UP NEXT: San Diego will continue play at home against UNLV on Saturday at 5 p.m., while the Cougars prepare to pounce on Wyoming Thursday at 7 p.m.