To the Editor:

Monica Owens has once again written a fact-less, pandering article to the CSU population. I will agree with Ms. Owens that it is important to remember what happened on Sept. 11, 2001, but practicing blind patriotism in the way that Ms. Owens record supports, is always dangerous ground. She states several times through her article things that begin with “No one can dispute” or “Nor can anyone argue,” and then following up with a statement that is either moot or flawed. For instance, she states that Saddam used weapons of mass destruction on his own people, which he did, 12 years ago and not since. Nor does it appear that he, or his government, was in possession of any WMDs.

She also mentions that Saddam has ignored the United Nations; however, based on the evidence we have found, the Iraqi government followed the U.N. mandates far more closely than the United States has been. She also states “by liberating Iraq we have made the homeland (Heimat) and the world safer.” In all actuality, anybody who reads any news (regardless how biased) will have noticed that attacks against United States soldiers (not soldiers from the other nations in Iraq) have been steadily rising since we declared the end of our invasion.

Most laughably, she states that “the statements of support and resolve were heard throughout the world.” This statement goes resoundingly against the actual international U.S. approval, which has consistently been dropping worldwide to record lows since the beginning of the Iraq conflict. It’s easy to see why, this is a country who’s leader declared, (in his Policy of Preemption) that we have the international right to declare war on any country we feel is a danger to us. It is this type of policy that when followed blindly, as Ms. Owens encourages, historically leads to international conflict on a much greater scale.

Ian Mathis

Junior, political science

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I have recently read the article titled, “Overcoming gender stereotypes,” (Sept. 22) and realized that it appears that there will always be a struggle for overcoming gender-based biases. The writer J.J. Babb depicts society’s outlook on how people are usually labeled by the extremes of their character and aren’t labeled in the medium. Babb incorporates the biases of women in her article but the male angle intrigued me more.

I know that when I first think of gender biases I think of women, such as the idea that women are meant to stay in the kitchen and raise the kids, but men are affected by this as well. She includes the idea that men can either be labeled as “being controlling or being inconsiderate.” I’ve noticed that she’s right. It seems as though whenever a man wants to put in a little extra effort to help a female in distress, she will think that he is being “chauvinistic” and belittling her. On the other hand, women tend to become bitter when a man doesn’t pay for dinner or surprise her with some sort of gift. It seems as though there will always be some sort of controversy when considering how a particular gender should think or act.

I think it’s good to include an article of this matter in a newspaper that reaches out to so many people (college students) that are in their sexual and romantic peaks, which for men is about the early 20s and for women it’s around the late 20s/early 30s. It involves the different genders and will appeal to many because everyone is looking for advise when it comes to understanding the opposite sex, especially when being surrounded by an incredible amount of temptation around campus. So keep the articles coming and help inform the youth of America.

Laura Pieper

Freshman, Undecided

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In response to Monica Owen’s Sept. 23 article: “We still need to fight,”

I would never have the audacity or the ignorance to quote Adolf Hitler, a violent man, in order to support a pro-peace position. Therefor, I am surprised at your disrespect by using a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., one of the world’s greatest promoters of non-violence, to support your hateful war agenda. Shame on you.

Katie Hester

Junior, Sociology