Authors: Jeremy Anderson

File under: Entertainment/movie reviews

“Dirty Pretty Things” opened in select cities over the summer, and luckily for us in Fort Collins, the film has finally come to ours.

The movie tells a sad and eye-opening story about a few immigrants living in London. Okwe (Chiwetel Ejiofor) is a cab driver by day and a hotel receptionist by night. He seemingly has no time for sleep and fights to stay awake by chewing on some kind of potent plant. He leads an unsatisfying life, considering that he was a doctor in his native home of Nigeria. However, his medical knowledge is often put to use by his fellow cab drivers and their sexually transmitted diseases.

Harboring a painful secret, Okwe escaped to London to hide out as an illegal alien. French actress Audrey Tautou (“Amelie”) stars in her first English-speaking role (yet incidentally has a Turkish accent) as Senay, the kind, Turkish hotel maid who relates to Okwe’s plight and allows him to secretly stay in her apartment. Senay is not in London illegally, but she is prohibited from having a job, and so her employment at the hotel must be kept secret from the immigration officials.

Okwe and Senay find themselves on a dangerous spiral when Okwe attempts to unclog a toilet in one of the hotel rooms and finds a human heart as the object of obstruction. It is from this incident that director Stephen Frears unfolds one of the most interesting and different movies I have seen in a long time.

The tight plot is aided by magnetic performances from Ejiofor and Tautou, as well excellent performances from the entire supporting cast. I really began to care about these two people and rooted for them to break out of the sad lives they were forced to live due to their unworthy place in society.

The story weaves an intricate plot about how far people will go in the conquest for peace and happiness, and the unfortunate circumstances they find themselves in along the way. “Dirty Pretty Things” is clever, exciting, touching and even funny at times.

Carmike Cinema periodically provides Fort Collins moviegoers with independent films that they would otherwise have to drive to Denver to see or miss out on altogether. Fans of independent films need to take advantage of them when they come to town so that Fort Collins will continue be home to more independent cinema in the future. Films like “Dirty Pretty Things” tend to have a very short run at our area theatres, so be sure to keep an eye out for them so that you do not miss out on excellent movies such as this one.

3.5 out of 4 rams