Authors: Rob Bombard

The Rams women’s tennis team kicks off the fall season this weekend in Denver at the Colorado Challenge hosted by the Pioneers of Denver University. The team looks to use the fall season as a time for improvement, developing young talent and focusing on their goals for the spring season.

Although it is a preseason tournament, the Rams face a number of in-state rivals and tough competition from the University of Colorado-Boulder, the Air Force Academy and the Denver University Pioneers.

Last season, the Rams overwhelmed the Buffaloes in singles play 5-1 and split the series with the Falcons 3-3, while falling to the host team DU 2-1 in doubles competition. The team is lead by a strong and experienced cast of juniors who look to fill the void left by former standout Sanja Hansson.

Juniors Dasha Zhurin, Alex Paganetti and Tatyana Ugorich are all returning players and should provide leadership through the fall and into the spring season.

Another member of the team expected to play a big part in the Rams success is sophomore transfer Jasmin Singh who went 20-11 overall in singles play for Louisville last season.

“Jasmin brings great experience to the depth of our team,” said head coach Jon Messick in a press release. “She knows how to win at the college level, I see her contributing to the team right away.”

Messick added that the fall season is compiled of a number of tournaments to give coaches and teams a feel for what needs to improve before heading into the rigors of spring competition.

The Rams next tournament is Sept. 25-26 at the BYU invitational in Provo, Utah.