Authors: Elizabeth Kerrigan

Fiona’s Delicatessen and Catering, located at 181 N. College Ave., is neatly tucked behind a small patio filled with red umbrellas. This business is dedicated to serving hungry customers with the finest ingredients.

Fiona’s was an idea that spawned from fine dining experts Scott and Elizabeth McBryde and has made Fort Collins its home for over five years.

“My husband and I wanted to bring the quality of fine dining to a casual atmosphere,” Elizabeth said.

Upon entering Fiona’s your senses will be taken by surprise by the quaint European atmosphere, delectable smells and the fresh salads that are sure to catch your eye from behind the glass counter.

From fresh soups and salads to homemade sandwiches and deserts, Fiona’s is consistently adding new dishes to their deli case. They encourage customers to ask what new and fresh ingredients are available for the day. Elizabeth claims that many times they will create their own version of what customers suggest.

Two of Fiona’s trademarks are fresh ingredients and variety. They take a great deal of pride in the food and work a great deal with local farmers and ranchers in order to get the freshest ingredients possible. Fiona’s does not purchase any ready-made products. From their soups to their lip smacking deserts, every ingredient is made from scratch.

“We use top quality ingredients in everything served here,” said Chris Landers, manager of Fiona’s. “We are definitely the best sandwich place in Fort Collins.”

Landers recommends the chicken club, otherwise known as the #5 or “Joanne’s Private Club.” This mouth-watering sandwich is made with grilled chicken breast, thick-sliced smoked bacon, Muenster cheese, lettuce, tomato and roasted red pepper mayo on grilled sourdough.

For the vegetarian, Landers suggests the #11, officially called the “Gus Does Taos,” served with fresh avocado, fire roasted green chili, red peppers, Wisconsin Muenster cheese and tomato with red pepper mayo on grilled sourdough.

Elizabeth says that the unique sandwich names were her husband’s idea. Each sandwich is named after the many friends and family that helped make Fiona’s possible.

There are a total of 25 sandwiches to pick and choose from and all are prepared European style and fresh everyday.

“There is not just one most popular soup or sandwich there are about seven,” Elizabeth said enthusiastically. “They are all just that good!”

Order your food to go, to stay or for those lazy afternoons Fiona’s delivers Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Fortunately, Fiona’s fine food is not served at fine-dining prices. The prices, on average, are between $4.75 and $9.95, depending on size and ingredients.

The fact that this unique deli has survived completely on word-of-mouth is one of the reasons why it has remained a pleasant little hidden surprise.