Authors: Natalie Plowman

H&FS has started a campaign to deter students from downloading files illegally without paying for them. The university has set up a “three strikes policy regarding general misuse of the university network,” according to www.housing.colostate.edu.

“It’s actually the music industry that sends the violations to Pat Burns, most of them come to housing,” said Susie Snyder, director of Technology Services for Housing and Food Services.

The first time that a student abuses his/her Internet privileges, the student will find that their connection has been disabled, and they are told to reread the Acceptable Use Policy, They must contact Technology Services to get the connection reactivated, according to Snyder.

For the second “strike,” the student’s connection is again inactivated, and the student must speak with the Conflict Resolution and Student Conduct Services, and contact the Technology Services again to be reactivated, as found at the Web site.

The final third “strike,” consists of a permanent Internet deactivation. The student will then be sent to the CRSCS office “for any disciplinary action that may be required,” according the H&FS Web site.

The strike policy may be dissuading students from downloading music.

“I’ve had maybe four or five (students), which is really great this semester, because we had 1,000 last year,” Burns said.

The policy seems to have deterred students.

“I did it a lot last year,” said sophomore Blake Teipel, a mechanical engineering major. Teipel admits that he no longer downloads music off of the Internet, though. “The main reason is because I’m an (resident assistant) … pressure from above,” Tiepel said. “I get repeated information about three strikes policy; I discourage my residents from downloading.”

Other students have continued downloading music left and right, regardless of the university’s three strike policy and recent lawsuits against 261 alleged online music sharers.

“That doesn’t bother me,” said Senior Nic Ferrington, a mechanical engineering major. “That’s 200 people out of how many people who live in the U.S?”

Senior Josh Cassidy, a mechanical engineering major, said he has downloaded, “including sound-bits, about 2,800 (files).”