Authors: Jamie Way

After high school graduation, affectionate feelings sometimes turn into long-distance relationships that can become costly, not only to your pocketbook, but also to your social life.

“It would have been different if I didn’t have a girlfriend,” said senior computer information systems senior Jason Decker.

Decker said he would have gone out more, but he and his girlfriend of three years were involved in a long distance relationship while she was in Omaha.

“We just grew apart in distance,” even though they communicated by phone, e-mail and instant messenger, he said.

Decker’s advice to others in long-distance relationships is “if it looks like it’s dying, get out.”

Laura Macagno-Shang a senior staff counselor said that many students visit the counseling office with problems concerning their long-distance relationships.

“It’s what people are homesick about. They want a normal college life, where they can date, party and have fun, but they feel like they can’t,” she said. “Couples will think they are in love, but maybe they’ve just never dated anyone else.”

Macagno-Shang said that while long-distance relationships suffer from many problems ranging from lack of communication to disloyalty, often they can be successful.

“It depends on the health of the relationship,” she said.

Some couples will take an attitude of what is meant to be will be and break up for a while, only to get back together again. In order to maintain a healthy relationship, couples should make sure they are putting an equal amount of effort forth, she said.

“Sometimes one person does all the traveling or calling and they need to even out the work,” she said.

Chris Devault, an economics senior said he has never tried to maintain a long-distance relationship because without a physical connection things would be difficult.

“”It’s hard to share emotions if you can’t put a face to it,” he said.

Megan Davey, a speech communication junior, is currently in a long-distance relationship with her boyfriend in Grand Junction.

“Gas gets expensive,” Davey said. “It’s just like any other relationship, but a little harder.”

Davey said the relationship has not had a negative effect on her social life because when her boyfriend comes to visit they still go out with friends.

Brooke Koclanes, a business freshmen, who was in a long-distance relationship with a man in Gunnison, said you have to trust each other a lot and you can not get upset over small things on the phone or it will ruin your relationship. While the distance actually helped her social life, it put strain on their relationship.

” I ended up hanging out with more of my friends that I had been too involved with him to hang out with before,” she said. “After a while the person just becomes a voice on the phone and it doesn’t seem like they’re there anymore.”

Haleigh Rhodes a front range equine science freshmen, whose boyfriend was in Maine, said the distance actually made the relationship easier for her.

She didn’t get sick of him, but she added that they did break up in part due to the distance, she said.

Her advice to anyone in a long-distance relationship is, “you’re going to have to really like him.”