Authors: Jacob Ouellette

Walking around on campus, it is not uncommon to see posters, banners and other advertisements for the various student-run organizations at CSU. Wanting to take advantage of all college life has to offer, I decided that I should choose the organization that best fits me and join up, perhaps to meet others with mindsets similar to my own and immerse myself in the camaraderie of these people. And so I searched.

Being a Caucasian male naturally excludes me from the various racial organizations on campus as well as all the groups created for women. Being spiritual rather than religious denies me access to the plethora of faith-based clubs on campus. Not defining my political views with any of the well-funded political parties out there makes me an outsider in any of those organizations. I do not play any sports or have any club-worthy hobbies, nor do I have any substance abuse problems. I find the whole idea of Greek Life as an excuse to perpetuate all of the horrible stereotypes about college students.

So that about takes care of all the student organizations on campus. Okay, so if I can’t join any of the student organizations, I’ll just make my own! That’s right, I’ll make a student organization for non-religious, non-political Caucasian males who do not have drug problems and find Greek Life distasteful. It sounds like a great idea, until you realize that such a group would be ridiculed for being “racist” and “godless” and “not having any school spirit,” among other things.

In our society everyone belongs to some minority except for Caucasian males, and so all the knee-jerk reactions that caused various protections to be put into place to guard against minority discrimination instead help everyone else discriminate against the

Caucasian male. When I apply to a college or interview for a job, I have to worry that I’m going to be passed over in favor of a person whose skin is darker than mine. When I apply for scholarships to help lessen the burden of paying for college, I am constantly turned away for not being a woman. Yes, I wholeheartedly endorse the idea that bigots should be dragged out into the street and have some sense beaten into them, but affirmative action and other well-intentioned but misguided regulations are harming as many people as they are trying to help.

It seems to be a common misconception that every Caucasian male has more resources at his disposal than anyone else and can therefore afford to be displaced in favor of minorities. I can tell you that nothing could be further from the truth. In today’s society, the lines between rich and poor no longer fall along minority dividers. Sure, any economist will tell you there is still an earnings gap between Caucasians and certain minorities but when you get right down to it, once you are earning enough money to provide for yourself and your family, everything else is just luxury.

We are all college students here; we go to the same classes, we pay the same bills, we eat the same Ramen but at the end of the day, the only thing that separates me from you is a label.