To the Editor:

After reading Tuesday’s article entitled “More representation,” I was left with a feeling of disgust. It is disgust for those who see our institution as a political breeding ground rather than a place of education and development. I can’t speak for everyone, but I hope most students are experiencing college as a liberating time by allowing them to pursue the knowledge reflecting their own desires and interests.

These classes are mostly taught by competent teachers who have worked hard to get to where they are. They in turn dispense their understanding of the world to us through facts and analysis of those facts. What is actually being taught is the ability to think for oneself. By mandating a professor’s political view we are basically telling some professors, “You are wrong.”

It’s an insult to both the future and current educational staff. The real purpose of trying to influence the staff is to turn our institutions into a politically conservative breeding ground. By hiring some professors under the proposed policies, it is implied they should impart their conservative view on us. These policies threaten to select these individuals firstly by ideology and secondly by ability. The focus should be on the best educators for the job. It isn’t a professor’s ideology or their ability to politically motivate what benefits us. It is the knowledge and experience that good educators help to develop within us, which then leads to better choices and a better life.

Douglas Schmidt

Senior, psychology

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Monica Owens really ought to try learning something while she is at this university, instead of vomiting up the same “facts” we’ve all heard before. I would like to state that Owens brings up a point on the “liberally biased” media in the same article where she states that the media needs to take a “fair and balanced” look at reality.

In response to Ms. Owens, Republicans are more frequently labeled conservative than Democrats are labeled liberal for a very simple reason. On an actual political scale, the Democratic Party currently has a platform more aligned with moderate, or even Republican views. The number of actual liberal Democrats in the party and attending conventions is actually quite low. Whereas on that same scale, the majority of the Republican Party, again that attends conventions and is in office, tends to be much further towards the conservative end of the spectrum. Furthermore, it doesn’t matter too much that most of the reporters are “left of center”, (I couldn’t find any statistics to prove this one way or the other, and you certainly can’t tell from the politically negligent at best mainstream media) as most of the corporations in the media oligopoly are under strong Republican ownership. “If the media were “liberally biased” as Owens suggests, then wouldn’t they be giving Bush the same treatment regarding the missing weapons of mass destruction than the significantly more liberal media in Britain is giving Tony Blair?”

I think that in the future, it would be beneficial for Ms. Owens to try researching her opinion pieces, as part of providing a “fair and balanced” viewpoint is to actually have evidence supporting your statements.

Ian Chocolate Mathis

Junior Political Science Major