Hit the road Rams

Authors: Katrice Thomas

The season is merely a few weeks old for the Rams of CSU’s women’s volleyball team, but they have already battled against two top 25 teams, and won the in-state rivalry with the University of Colorado.

They have played a total of seven games, and have been able to enjoy their success in the comforts of Moby Arena. Now it’s time for the Rams to take that success and test it on the road for the first time.

“I love being at Moby, the crowd is awesome and it’s nice to be home,” said outside hitter Andreya Downs, “But we have to be able to go on the road and win, so this is going to be a good experience.”

The Rams have a tough three – game series awaiting them in Manhattan, Kan., at the Kansas State Wildcat Classic. This marks the third straight weekend that the Rams face three opponents. Fatigue, however, is not an issue, and they are more than ready to face the challenge.

“We have a more experienced team, so we know how to conserve our energy” Downs said.

The first of three games begins Friday at 5 p.m., against the Tigers of Louisiana State (3-3). The two most recent losses for LSU have come from the hands of Tulane and No. 5 Nebraska. The Tigers are ready to get back on track, and the Rams are the first obstacle they face.

After the match the Rams have the remainder of the night to rest before competition with South Florida (4-3) Saturday morning. The Bulls ended last weekend with a 2-2 record and hope to encounter some success in the tournament.

The last and maybe the most anticipated match for the Rams is Saturday night against hosting Kansas State at 7:30 p.m. The Wildcats are the 12th best team according to AVAC top 25, and have an impressive 7-2 record, with their only losses coming against No. 2 Hawaii, and No. 3 Consolation-Florida

“We are all getting along well, and I feel as if we have a good connection,” said middle blocker Bri Frech, “So I am looking forward to playing Kansas, and winning.”

The Rams have every reason to be optimistic. The last time the Kansas State claimed victory over the Rams, was in 1996, taking that match 3-1.

The Wildcats will rally behind senior middle blocker Lauren Goehring to continue their seven – game winning streak, while the Rams strive to start a winning streak of their own.

The team isn’t too worried about the names of their opponents, where they come from, or what they are ranked in the nation; they are more focused on playing great volleyball.

“I’m just here to get the job done,” Frech said. “We’re going to kick butt as of right now, and we’ll take names later.”