Authors: Andrew Woerpel

The CSU’s men’s golf team looks to wreak havoc in the upcoming Tucker Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

“The team is ready to finally compete, they’re tired of all the qualifying rounds and practice,” said coach Jamie Bermel. “We are going into this with no expectations; with Martin Laird not there it will be interesting to see other guys’ play.”

New Mexico, UNLV, BYU, and Arizona look to be the Rams’ toughest competition. Last year’s winner, New Mexico, is the host of the tournament so it will not be an easy task for the Rams to travel there and take over the throne.

Senior golfer, Martin Laird, will not be at the tournament due to international tournament he will be competing in. Therefore, some of the other golfers will have to step it up a notch in his absence.

Senior Nolan Martin will probably be the one the team will look to for inspiration. He has done very well in his qualifying rounds and also played excellent in last year’s Tucker Invitational. With two years of Division I experience and a well showing in last year’s tournament, Martin heads into the tournament with an abundance of confidence.

“It’s going to be difficult without Martin Laird there, but everyone is playing good, so I feel there is no pressure on me really,” Martin said. “I definitely like our chances, I think the team can easily take third or fourth, which would be really good without Martin being there.”

Head coach Jamie Bermel said to win would be a great way to start the year, especially with the absence of Laird.

“Winning this first tournament would be huge for the team; this is one of the best fields we play on all year,” Bermel said. “Winning would be a huge confidence boost especially being the first tournament.”